Effective negotiation is a key process for those such as buyers and procurement officers who provide advice and guidance to stakeholders on the performance of procurement and supply. Are you effective in your negotiations with internal and external stakeholders? Do you demonstrate effective behaviours in conducting commercial negotiations? This interactive two-day training course will provide you with the knowledge and skills to become an effective commercial negotiator.
Agenda - Day 1
Introductions and Aspirations followed by a discussion on pre-work activities
What is negotiation?
- Negotiation process
- Stakeholder analysis
Preparation and planning phase
- Setting objectives and variables
- BATNA and ZOPA
- Open, test, move, agree
- Negotiation techniques and tactics
- Implementing and monitoring the agreement
Review of Day 1
Agenda - Day 2
Sources of power in commercial negotiations
- Use of power in negotiation
Approaches to negotiation
- Negotiation styles
- Supplier relationships
- Question styles
- Validation and achievement
Review of Day 1 and 2
Course delivery details
- Your skills training will comprise of online learning and a tutor-led session.
- Online pre-learning and course materials will be available on the CIPS Learning Mangement System up-to one month ahead of your training session and should be completed before day 1 and day 2.
- The virtual classroom will open 15 minutes before your session.
Certification / Credits
What will I learn?
As part of this course, you will have access to pre and post work activities online to help you prepare and reflect on your training. You will learn the need and purpose for negotiation in procurement and supply. We will work through the negotiation process so you can understand the key activities at each phase, including the techniques and tactics used by the best negotiators.
We will explore the sources of power in negotiations and the different styles of negotiation that can be adopted. You will have the opportunity to apply your knowledge in a safe environment in the form of a role play to practice your skills with validation from your experienced course tutor.
What are the learning objectives?
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Recognise the steps contained within a negotiation process
- Plan and prepare for a negotiation
- Understand and apply different styles of negotiation
- Identify and use a range of techniques and tactics throughout the negotiation process
- Explain the sources of power in commercial negotiations
- Apply learning through negotiation role-play
Why choose CIPS?
95% of our students tell us that CIPS qualifications are the standard for the profession
Professionals with MCIPS on average earn 20% more
Average rating 4.4
The course content and training was on point. We were a group of 6 and it would have been nice to have a couple of more attendees on the training as we had about 3-4 role playin...
Two strongest parts of the course was the course content and the presenter. The content was extremely relevant and matched real-life scenarios we would face. The presenter was e...
I really liked the sequence of the course and how well it flowed. Andy was a great instructor and kept the group engaged throughout the sessions. Keeping people engaged for 16 h...
Contact this provider
We are CIPS, the Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply
A global membership organisation driving positive change across our profession. CIPS are the voice and standard, defining and amplifying best practice across all our worlds. We help build capability within organisations. Diagnosing, troubleshooting and training. We’ll work with your organisation...