Eye-Opener: Getting Started with Design Thinking - 1-Day Program
Are you a business leader looking to unleash the creative powers of your organization? A product manager who wants to create a memorable customer experience, or a department head who needs a better process to encourage and develop innovative ideas from your teams? A HR or training director who wants to get the most out of your employees?
Design thinking is a proven, human-centered approach to creating breakthrough innovations through a combination of three key factors:
- Empathy: drawing inspiration and insights from real people around us
- Collaboration: working more effectively with our team members
- Creativity: discovering the latent skills within ourselves
This one-day course compresses a three-month design project into a single day, providing a "tasting menu" experience of the typical process used in a full-scale effort built on the design thinking process. Participants will get exposed to the learnable skills of design thinking, and have fun doing it!
Upon completion, participants will be able to:
- Understand the unique properties and mindset of design thinking
- Identify opportunities where design thinking and human-centered innovation can be best applied
- Join a team that is solving a problem through design thinking
- Participate in structured brainstorming sessions
- Contribute insights to a human-centered innovation process
- Talk intelligently about the pros and cons of design thinking
Upcoming start dates
Who should attend?
This course will be valuable for employees across the spectrum, from new hires to senior leadership, and should not be limited to a single business area — innovation can happen in all departments, and across the organization!
It will be especially effective in organizations where innovation efforts may be underway (e.g., by a product team or in an innovation lab), but not highly visible to other departments.
Participants work in teams of 4-6, collaborating to solve a single design challenge (chosen with the client) within the timespan of the workshop. This will include exercises for most of the phases listed below, as well as group discussion, Q&A, and more.
- Warm-up exercise - to get everyone thinking
- Overview of innovation processes - lessons from industry
- The phases of design thinking:
- Define - find new ways to innovate by reframing the challenge
- Learn - gain empathy through observations and interviews
- Synthesis - make sense of qualitative data
- Brainstorm - leading groups to ideate effectively
- Test - making and using prototypes and experiments
- Share - how storytelling makes a difference
- Reflect - the importance of pausing to consider what we've learned
Please contact Innovationship for pricing.
Certification / Credits
Each participant will get a certificate of completion.
Contact this provider
Innovationship - Experts in Design Thinking
Innovationship was formed out of a shared passion for helping people to apply the creative, collaborative approach of design thinking to solve tough problems. Starting in the 1980s, the founders worked together both as colleagues at IDEO and in their...