Application of Design Thinking - 3-Day program
Innovation is not easy, but one proven way to innovate is to adopt a proven process for discovering new opportunities and delivering breakthrough experiences.
Design thinking is a human-centered approach to innovating that relies on a combination of three key factors:
- Empathy: drawing inspiration and insights from real people around us
- Collaboration: working more effectively with our team members
- Creativity: discovering the latent skills within ourselves
Participants in this three-day course will work in teams to complete two different design challenges.
Day one compresses a three-month design project into a single day, providing a "tasting menu" experience of the typical process used in a full-scale effort built on the design thinking process. The teams will focus on redesigning an everyday object, allowing teams to get instruction and exercises in all the skills used to address a typical design challenge.
Days two and three will focus on an entirely new and more complex challenge. There are fewer lectures and more guided mastery, and the balance of the time is spent in exercises. The last part of Day three is used for reflection and discussion of the challenges faced when using these skills on real-world projects.
Upon completion, participants will be able to:
- Experience the application of design thinking to a specific challenge from their own work domain
- See the unique solutions provided by the design thinking approach and mindset
- Understand the unique properties and fundamental skills of design thinking
- Identify opportunities where design thinking and human-centered innovation could be best applied
- Join a team that is solving a problem through design thinking
- Participate in structured brainstorming sessions
- Contribute insights to a human-centered innovation process
- Talk intelligently about the pros and cons of design thinking
Participants will get deep exposure to the learnable skills of design thinking, and have fun doing it!
Upcoming start dates
Who should attend?
This course will be valuable for employees across the spectrum, from new hires to senior leadership, and should not be limited to a single business area - innovation can happen in all departments, and across the organization!
It will be especially effective in organizations where innovation efforts may be underway (e.g., by a product team or in an innovation lab), but are not highly visible to other departments.
Participants work in teams of 4-6.
- Warm-up exercise - to get everyone thinking
- Overview of innovation processes - lessons from industry
- Define - find new ways to innovate by reframing the challenge
- Frame the Day 1 design challenge
- Learn - gain empathy through observations and interviews
- Participants perform observation research
- Synthesis make sense of qualitative data
- Teams discover insights and needs from observation data
- Brainstorm - leading groups to ideate effectively
- Teams generate lots of ideas for design challenge
- Test - making and using prototypes and experiments
- Ideas are tested by creating scenarios and storyboard journeys
- Share - how storytelling makes a difference
- Teams present their work using storytelling techniques
- Reflect - the importance of pausing to consider what we've learned
- Class discussion and Q&A
Days 2 & 3
The second two days are more flexible in time constraints and teams are allowed to move at their own speed, under the guidance of the Innovationship facilitators, repeating exercises as necessary and applying new lessons as the project unfolds.
- Define - frame the Day 2-3 design challenge
- Learn - participants perform field observations & interviews
- Synthesis - teams draw needs from observation data
- Brainstorm - teams generate lots of ideas for design challenge
- Test - teams creating journeys and prototypes
- Share - teams tell the story of their two-day project
- Reflect - class discussion and Q&A
Please contact Innovationship for pricing.
Certification / Credits
Each participant will get a certificate of completion.
Contact this provider
Innovationship - Experts in Design Thinking
Innovationship was formed out of a shared passion for helping people to apply the creative, collaborative approach of design thinking to solve tough problems. Starting in the 1980s, the founders worked together both as colleagues at IDEO and in their...