ME209.1x is a basic course in thermodynamics, designed for students of mechanical engineering. We will study the terms and concepts used in thermodynamics, with precise definitions. The three laws of thermodynamics (zeroth, first, and second) will be explored in detail, and the properties of materials will be studied. Many useful relations will be derived.
There will be emphasis on problem-solving. Students will need to spend significant effort on solving exercises.
The course is designed for students in mechanical engineering. However, others (both engineers and scientists) are likely to find it useful. The course has also been found to be useful to teachers of thermodynamics.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Basic knowledge of high-school physics and chemistry is assumed; ability to do college calculus (differentiation, integration, partial derivatives, and exact differentials) is required.
The topics include:
- basic concepts and definitions
- the work interaction
- the first law, energy, and the heat interaction
- the zeroth law, temperature, and scales of temperature
- properties of gases and liquids, equations of state
- the second law, thermodynamic temperature scales, and entropy
- relations between properties
- open thermodynamic systems
Course delivery details
This course is offered through IITBombay, a partner institute of EdX.
8-10 hours per week
- Verified Track -$50
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- How to relate the zeroth, first and second laws to basic thermodynamic properties, like energy, temperature, and entropy, and to interactions like work and heat
- How to interpret entropy change and entropy production and the related terms isentropic and reversible
- How to derive property relations in an easy manner, and get used to the steam tables
- Solve problems by applying the first and second law of thermodynamics
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...