Nutrition for a Healthy and Sustainable Lifestyle
An introduction to basic principles of human nutrition with emphasis on nutrients, food sources, and function of nutrients within the human body. Nutritional requirements throughout the life span are addressed, as well as the impact of cultural, psychological, and physiological dimensions.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
- Summarize the impact of industrialized food production on our individual and environmental health
- Recognize basic nutrition terminology, including macronutrients (protein, fat and carbohydrates)
- Identify and discuss the health benefits of whole food plant based nutrition
- Apply a mindfulness and mindful eating practice to encourage healthful eating and weight maintenance
- Explain the impact of processed food, fast food and junk food on personal nutrition; understand the connection between food and our moods
- Demonstrate how food preferences for healthy or unhealthy food are developed as children; discuss the impact
- Develop a presentation to show a “sign of positive change” in the food and nutrition field where you discover examples of positive progress in the whole foods plant based nutrition movement; describe this progress through a focus on an individual or organization acting as a Sign of Positive Change
- Discuss the argument for, and against, nutritional supplementation
- Describe Food Insecurity; identify social determinants of health
- Summarize how food insecurity affects seniors, children, rural communities, African Americans and Latinos
- Analyze the components of a healthy, three day eating plan on a budget
- Plan, prepare, and consume three days of healthy meals; report on the outcomes
- Appraise your own progress in eating mindfully, and identify its effects (mindful eating reflection journal assignment)
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Doane University, a partner institute of EdX.
8-12 hours per week
- Verified Track -$99
- Audit Track - Free
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...