Evolution of Business and Market
Each week is discussed in detail covering topics as diverse as the persistence of merchant guilds in medieval Europe, the historical emergence of the modern impersonal markets, and their promised benefits in comparison to traditional systems of business and the influence of pre-colonial institutions on development in Africa and Asia.
The course also deals with how businesses could overcome frictions of information asymmetry and moral hazards. We first explore the role of networks and hierarchy in shaping traditional and modern business, and then discuss the historical evolution of the firm, from individual merchants and guilds to large multinational corporations. We discuss the importance and limits of formal institutions, the role of trust and cosmopolitan culture, and the impact of communication, transport and mass-media technologies.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Learners should have keen interest in understanding the basics which led to the evolution of Business.
- Week 0: Welcome to the Course
- Week 1 : Evolution of Business
- Week 2 : Transformation of Business
- Week 3 : Evolution of Markets
- Week 4 : Democratized Markets
- Week 5 : Forces of Evolution
- Week 6 : India as a Case
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Indian Institute of Management Bangalore, a partner institute of EdX.
3-4 hours per week
- Verified Track -$149
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
The course is designed with the following specific objectives and learning outcomes:
- Learn the role of a dense network of relationships in Traditional Business.
- Understand the formalization of business over time from craft guilds to formal markets.
- Describe how the social structure of a society affects the growth of the market.
- Explain a historical perspective of how markets evolve.
- Analyse various policies of business and market; role of institutions, cultural ingredients, and technology in the development process.
- Study of the economy focusing exclusively on India.
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...