In Fire Safety of Wood Construction, you'll learn ...
- Code provisions pertaining to fire safety of building materials
- Fire behavior and fire performance characteristics of wood products
- Fire-retardant treatments that can be used to reduce the combustibility of wood
Credit: 2 PDH
Length: 32 pages
Fire safety is an important concern in all types of construction. The high level of national concern for fire safety is reflected in limitations and design requirements in building codes. This course is intended to provide the student with an understanding of the fire safety concerns of wood when it is used in the design and fabrication of buildings and other structures.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Certificate of Completion
You will be able to immediately print a certificate of completion after passing a multiple-choice quiz consisting of 10 questions. PDH credits are not awarded until the course is completed and quiz is passed.
This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Fire safety design code requirements
- Five classifications of building construction based on types of materials and required fire resistance ratings
- Methods to reduce exterior fire exposure for buildings located in areas subjected to wildfires
- How wood products are tested and classified according to a flame spread index
- Test methods for pre-flashover fire growth
- Two accepted procedures for calculating the fire ratings of exposed wood members
- Characteristics used to quantify the burning behavior of wood
- How charring of the cross-section affects the load carrying capacity of a structural wood member
- Types of fire-retardant wood treatments and how the improve fire performance
Why choose PDHengineer?
Trusted by over 60,000 engineers to meet PDH requirements
Earn reward tokens with each course purchase
Triple guarantee that courses will be accepted by your state licensing board
Contact this provider
Professional Engineers have trusted PDHengineer to provide high-quality PDH courses since 2003. A large library of PDH courses and live, interactive webinars means that engineers can find PDH course material covering all of the major engineering disciplines. Plus, all PDHengineer...