In Inspection and Evaluation of Swinging Fire Doors in Existing Buildings, you'll learn ...
- Fundamental features and characteristics of fire resistance rated barriers and associated swinging fire protection rated doors.
- Fundamental features and characteristics of hardware and appurtenances that are listed and approved for use in required fire protection rated opening protectives.
- Fundamental survey and inspection techniques and tips to help identify proper and deficient swinging fire doors in existing construction.
Credit: 2 PDH
Length: 16 pages
Engineers, architects, code officials, and inspectors are faced with a myriad of issues to be aware of when evaluating an existing building. One common fire protection feature that is found in nearly every existing building that requires evaluation and inspection are fire protection rated opening protectives. Although the intent and function of fire protection rated doors seems obvious, these devices have a plethora of options, features and components that require proper installation and maintenance. The number and details associated with each of these components are easy to overlook when conducting a fire protection evaluation of a building or even a focused inspection of fire doors and frames.
This course is intended to review some of the fundamental testing criteria used to evaluate the performance of fire protection rated opening protectives to provide a foundation of understanding on which some of the basic building code requirements are constructed. The course then outlines basic and more detailed building code requirements, pertaining to the various components and features of rated opening protectives. Inspection and evaluation techniques and tips are outlined, as well as some common oversights.
This course will permit you to have a better understanding of code requirements and features associated with fire doors, and equip you with a keener eye for detail when performing fire door inspections and building evaluations.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Certificate of Completion
You will be able to immediately print a certificate of completion after passing a multiple-choice quiz consisting of 20 questions. PDH credits are not awarded until the course is completed and quiz is passed.
This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- How to identify code compliance issues during a brief building walk-through survey or fire door inspection
- Governing codes and standard requirements in the United States for fire doors
- The methodology of fire door laboratory testing and what the test results are intended to indicate
- Common wall ratings and associated fire protection ratings for associated opening protectives
- Various aspects associated with fire doors that need to be considered when conducting a fire door inspection or building evaluation
- The process of field labeling existing doors
Why choose PDHengineer?
Trusted by over 60,000 engineers to meet PDH requirements
Earn reward tokens with each course purchase
Triple guarantee that courses will be accepted by your state licensing board
Contact this provider
Professional Engineers have trusted PDHengineer to provide high-quality PDH courses since 2003. A large library of PDH courses and live, interactive webinars means that engineers can find PDH course material covering all of the major engineering disciplines. Plus, all PDHengineer...