Project Management School: Module 1 - Project Management Fundamentals
This 5-day course is It is designed to enable organisations to engage in successful project management, to deliver benefits and objectives in a timely way within budget.
Whatever your role, it is impossible to avoid change: these modules give you the confidence and the competence to deliver small to medium sized projects and to engage in an informed way with project management professionals.
Key course highlights include:
- Demystifying project management and explaining common sense approaches to managing risk, uncertainty and change.
- Put into practice controls to successfully contract success and identify early issues and emerging risks.
- Develop a project management vocabulary and toolkit to engage effectively with stakeholder across the business.
- Learn how to estimate effectively and to develop cost, scope and time baselines against which to measure progress.
- Communicate effectively with the right people at the right time in the right way to gain productive engagement.
- Make informed decisions about how best to apply project management controls to the level of risk, including agile and waterfall approaches.
- Practical case study engagement.
- Real – life examples of best practice and how to recover when things go wrong.
Who should attend?
Who Should Attend
This course will be of most value to:
- Directors and Managers Responsible for Change
- Individuals responsible for Delivering Change
- Project Management Officers
- Product Development Professionals
- Project Sponsors and Directors
Project Management and Risk: How to apply project management appropriately to the level of risk.
All good project management starts with the questions, “what are we trying to achieve and why are we doing it?” (Sometimes there is a third, “why now?”) This first day provides practical learning outcomes that can be applied immediately. Project management is a response to risk, in this first day we will explore project management controls including the lifecycle and milestones. Your facilitator will share real world examples of where project management is applied well and poorly and will invite participants to share how they might apply effective project management back at the desk.
The outcome of this first day is that participants are able to evaluate the specific project risks, assess and recommend an approach and develop a high-level response (project plan)
Scoping and Planning: Developing and contracting a clear understanding of the objectives and the plan to deliver against them.
This second day will focus on developing further the high level plan into a reliable set of baselines (Time, Cost and Quality/Scope) You will work together to use work breakdown and decomposition to create strong and traceable connections from objectives, benefits and success criteria through deliverables to work packages, activities and tasks. The ‘work breakdown’ structure and dictionary form the foundation for all project management endeavour: from this point it is practical to develop predictable estimates for duration, effort, cost and contingency.
The outcome of this second day is that participants are confident to have informed and honest conversations about and contract on, how long, how much and why.
Managing Time and Budgets: Developing the time and cost baselines with clear basis of estimation and controls.
This third day takes participants into the world of estimation, modelling and controls. Most estimates fail because they are presented as a single number when in fact an estimate is a range (between most optimistic and most pessimistic) and is influenced greatly by the amount of time and the approach that is used to develop them.
This is a practical day with real world application and debate: accuracy takes time but is conducted often, in a time bound way: having the confidence and the competence to share this risk enables effective application of control and contingency.
Course fee: £3645+VAT
Why choose Euromoney Learning?
4.6/5 rating on course check for service
60,000 professionals trained across public courses
80+ countries where training is delivered
Contact this provider
At Euromoney Learning, we understand that learning doesn’t start and end when you leave the classroom. We know that the financial markets never stand still, and that technology has both simplified and added complexity at a break-neck pace. That’s why...