Managing Project Costs and Budgets
The achievement of successful project delivery is directly underpinned by focus and attention on the effective and efficient management of the financial dynamic. The project environment is uncertain and project teams must operate, not only within this uncertainty, but also subject to multiple constraints. Understanding that a project is subject to a complex series of interfaces between stakeholders and resources becomes critical. All project activities have a cost, which may be either direct or indirect. They will all impact upon a projects’ budget from the perspective of consumption – i.e. as the project moves through its lifecycle, resources are allocated and utilized and money is spent, the budget therefore is subject to depletion. It is always a difficult question to determine whether or not a project is a success when it is over budget and late, yet the deliverables far outlast the original expectation.
This course will provide the participant with an effective set of skills and knowledge that will allow them to manage the dynamic project cost function. Through these skills and new knowledge, the delegate will acquire the ability to implement the application of techniques that will contribute directly to more efficient project financial management processes.
The course does not focus on number crunching – it is designed to lead the participants on a journey of understanding of the centrality of the cost management function, to familiarize the participant with the interactions and processes that underpin and ultimately inform the cost based activities within projects. The delivery is completely interactive and there is a large element of practical exercise that allows participants to grasp the interrelationships between cost; project lifecycle and operational activities. This imparts to participants the wider or ‘holistic’ picture upon which the process of successful project delivery is built.
Upcoming start dates
Inquire for more information
- Topic 1: Overview
- Topic 2: The importance of project cost scheduling
- Topic 3: Project estimation
- Topic 4: Why manage project costs?
- Topic 5: The critical centrality of the project scope:
- Topic 6: The project lifecycle – it’s relevance to cost management
- Topic 7: The Work Breakdown Structure
- Topic 8: The Cost Breakdown Structure
- Topic 9: Integrating project cost and schedule
- Topic 10: Cost Engineering
- Topic 11: The Cost Estimation Process
- Topic 12: Developing a Base Estimate
- Topic 13: Cost Escalation and Cost Reduction
- Topic 14: The Project Budget
- Topic 15: Costing out Work Elements
- Topic 16: Project Variation and Change Orders
- Topic 17: Tracking Costs and Project Performance
- Topic 18: Forecasting costs
- Topic 19: The Relationship between Cost Estimate Accuracy and Contingency Allocations
The Course fee: 3645 + VAT
Certification / Credits
- Become familiar with the integration of cost scheduling into project management processes and procedures
- Understand the importance throughout a project lifecycle of the central role and importance of managing costs
- Utilise such techniques as the Work Breakdown Structure (WBS); the Work Package and the Cost Breakdown Structure (CBS)
- Estimate costs and deal with cost escalations and reductions
- Apply the basics of managing a project budget
- Have awareness of reporting responsibilities
Why choose Euromoney Learning?
4.6/5 rating on course check for service
60,000 professionals trained across public courses
80+ countries where training is delivered
Contact this provider
At Euromoney Learning, we understand that learning doesn’t start and end when you leave the classroom. We know that the financial markets never stand still, and that technology has both simplified and added complexity at a break-neck pace. That’s why...