Resilience - The Art of Coping with Disasters
What is Resilience? Resilience is often perceived as an abstract term that varies in meaning for people from different fields and backgrounds. Nevertheless, it has been a “buzzword” in the discussion around crises and disasters in recent decades.
In this course, we willintroduce structure into this confusion andprovide clearer definitions for the intangible multidisciplinary and sometimes ambiguous term resilience.
Subsequently, this understanding will serve to improve the learners’ ability to manage crisis situations, as well as to help them plan and focus interventions and protective measures in the field of emergency preparedness and response.
At the individual level, this course will provide learners with personal tools and resources for better coping in various stressful situations.
Resilience is a capacity of society, with implications for day-to-day life as well as in crisis situations. The familiarity with the concept and its' broad aspects, is an asset to any individual in the pragmatic applied sense, beyond the academic attainment.
This course willintroduce the concept of resilience and its relevance in various arenas and times.
We will portray the impact of the disaster on individuals, families, communities, organizations, infrastructure and the interfaces between them.
We will introduce the role of media and social media in the emergency management lifecycle
You will learn how to measure resilience, how to use this assessment to guide you in building response plans for emergency situations.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
- Resilience: Introduction and overview of the concept
- The effects of crisis situations on individuals
- The effects of crisis situations on communities
- Personal Resilience and Coping
- Community Resilience
- Organizational Resilience
- Crisis and the media - new and old
- Conclusion and summary
Course delivery details
This course is offered through IsraelX, a partner institute of EdX.
1-3 hours per week
- Verified Track -$49
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- What is resilience
- What is the role of resilience in disaster situations
- How can one improve resilience
- Introduction to Coping
- The BASIC PH model of coping
- Grief and bereavement
- The effects of emergencies and disasters on individuals
- Who is vulnerable - at-risk populations
- Helping the helpers
- Factors of Community Resilience
- The role of media during disasters
- Effective media communication during emergencies
- CERTs - Community Emergency Response Teams
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...