Leaders in Global Development
This course is part of the Leadership in Global Development MicroMasters program. In order to get the most out of this course, we recommend that you have experience working in the development sector or a strong interest in this area. We also recommend that you complete the other three courses that make up the Leadership in Global Development MicroMasters program: The Science and Practice of Sustainable Development, Adaptive Leadership in Development, and Critical Development Perspectives.
Are you working in the development sector and looking to take the next step in your career and take on a leadership role?
This business and management course is an introduction to key leadership theories and concepts that you will need to be an effective leader and manager. You will learn how leadership is different from management.
You will learn practical skills needed to build a shared vision, and lead across boundaries. You will learn to recognise your own leadership style, and the leadership styles of others. You will learn the different types of power, and tools for gaining legitimacy in your development work.
Upon course completion, you will be prepared to take on leadership roles in development and work effectively across geographical, cultural, organizational and disciplinary boundaries.
You will also develop a personalized leadership plan throughout the course, which will help you continue your leadership journey after you complete the MOOC.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Participants should have experience, or a strong interest in working in development. While not compulsory, it is recommended that learners have completed a bachelor degree in a relevant discipline.
- Introduction to Leadership
- Team, Transformational and Authentic Leadership
- Wise Leadership
- Leadership Contexts, Roles and Styles
- Adaptive Leadership to Address Challenges
- Power, Legitimacy, Politics and Influence
- Leading Across Boundaries
- Principles and Methods of Leadership Development
Course delivery details
This course is offered through The University of Queensland, a partner institute of EdX.
9-12 hours per week
- Verified Track -$375
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- To understand the importance of leadership in the development sector
- To engage in self-leadership, by building self-awareness about your strengths and weaknesses as a leader in the context of global development
- To understand different forms of leadership that are relevant to the development sector, and the key to successfully engaging in these forms of leadership
- To identify techniques to ethically build power (the potential to influence) and design influence strategies
All graded assessment will be graded and have insightful feedback for learners to further refine their new knowledge and skills.
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...