Design Thinking for Leading and Learning
How do we prepare K-12 students and learning communities to be as successful as possible? If future jobs require creativity, problem-solving, and communication, how do we teach these skills in meaningful ways? How do we bring together passionate school leaders to create systemic solutions to educational challenges? Come explore these questions and more in Design Thinking for Leading and Learning.
The course is organized into three sections that combine design thinking content with real-world education examples, as well as opportunities for learners to apply concepts in their own setting.
Upcoming start dates
Inquire for more information
- Virtual Classroom
Who should attend?
No previous experience with design thinking needed. We recommend that participants take the course with colleagues from their organization (school, district, learning environment).
- Unit 1: Meet Design Thinking. An introduction to design thinking through the perspective of designers at MIT. For the first assignment, learners will take on the role of a designer and complete a small design project. This unit serves as a foundation for upcoming work in Units 2 and 3.
- Unit 2: Design Thinking for Students. Examples of how and why PK-12 educators use the design thinking process to enhance student learning in their classrooms. Learners will develop a hands-on design challenge to experiment with the process in their own classrooms or workplaces
- Unit 3: Design Thinking for Schools. Examples of how and why PK-12 institutions and their partners use design thinking to address systemic change. Learners will develop an action plan to experiment using the design process to address a problem in their own school communities.
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Massachusetts Institute of Technology, a partner institute of EdX.
4-6 hours per week
- Verified Track -$49
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Process of design thinking
- Why the design thinking process is helpful for 21st century learners and schools
- How design thinking is applied in a variety of educational settings
- Ways to apply design thinking as a strategy for improving schools and systems
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...