Crisis Resource Management
Research suggests that lack of crisis resource management skills in the healthcare profession result in at least 100,000 deaths annually in the United States alone. This course will arm you with the critical skills to effectively make decisions and manage teams in a crisis situation, especially teams of strangers—a common occurrence for many health workers dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic. The course provides real-life examples and simulations for medical professionals to practice these skills.
Crisis Resource Management (CRM) refers to the non-technical skills required for effective teamwork in a crisis situation. Based on lessons learned in the aviation industry, CRM can be applied in the health care setting and taught to practitioners to help teams to manage and prevent crises. This curriculum emphasizes shared decision-making and appropriate team management that crosses multiple disciplines and professions.
This course makes CRM concepts accessible, moving away from theoretical and abstract presentations of the topics. It also contextualizes medical experiences in real-life examples or simulations. The basic and more elaborate concepts of CRM and utility of non-technical skills have a broad application across global health care environments, a curriculum that often is not exposed to health care students, residents, and fellows.
The interactive format of this online course will allow us to explore cultural influences on these principles.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Introduction to Crisis Resource Management
- History of Crisis Resource Management
- Medical Errors in Crisis Resource Management
- Assess Yourself
- Monitor Your Surroundings
- Know Your Team
- Balance Attention: Fixation Error
- Balance Attention: Cognitive Load
- Balance Attention: Cognitive Aids
- Anticipate and Plan
- Communication During Crisis
- The 3Cs and Communicating Effectively
- Call for Help Early
- Share the Mental Model
- Regain Situational Awareness
- Organize to Team
- Challenge Authority
- Create Psychological Safety
- Team Reflection
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Colgate University, a partner institute of EdX.
3-6 hours per week
- Verified Track -$50
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- The history of crisis resource management in the context of the aviation industry
- Factors that affect the performance of complex tasks (Individual, Team, Environment)
- The principles of crisis resource management in the health care environment
- Identification of crisis resource management principles during simulation of health care crises
- The controversies and evidence related to crisis resource management
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...