Today, computer graphics is a central part of our lives, in movies, games, computer-aided design, virtual reality, virtual simulators, visualization and even imaging products and cameras. This course, part of the Virtual Reality (VR) Professional Certificate program, teaches the basics of computer graphics that apply to all of these domains.
Students will learn to create computer-generated images of 3D scenes, including flybys of objects, make a real-time scene viewer, and create very realistic images with raytracing. We will start with a simple example of viewing a teapot from anywhere in space, understanding the basic mathematics of virtual camera placement. Next, you will learn how to use real-time graphics programming languages like OpenGL and GLSL to create your own scene viewer, enabling you to fly around and manipulate 3D scenes. Finally, we will teach you to create highly realistic images with reflections and shadows using raytracing.
This course runs for 6 weeks and consists of four segments. Each segment includes an individual programming assignment:
- Overview and Basic Math (Homework 0: 10% of grade)
- Transformations (Homework 1: 20% of grade)
- OpenGL and Lighting (Homework 2: 35% of grade)
- Raytracing (Homework 3: 35% of grade)
This term, students who earn a total score of 50% or greater will have passed the course and may obtain a certificate from UC San DiegoX.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
- Solid C/C++ programming background (Java is ok too; you will pick up C++)
- Access to a relatively up-to-date computer (Windows, Mac OS, Linux)
- Solid high school mathematics; a review of the relevant linear algebra is included in the first segment.
Course delivery details
This course is offered through The University of California, San Diego, a partner institute of EdX.
6-12 hours per week
- Verified Track -$99
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Understand the concepts of 3D graphics
- Write and develop programs that create images of a 3D scene with lighting
- Learn the basics of graphics programming with OpenGL and GLSL
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...