How to Turn Data Into Compelling Visual PresentationsAMA - American Management Association
How to Turn Data Into Compelling Visual Presentations
All available course dates
How to Turn Data into Compelling Visual Presentations
Communicating data and the story of what that data means has become increasingly important in recent years. As attention spans decrease and the amounts of quantitative information increase, it is crucial to be able to visualize your data for your audiences in the most clear and effective ways possible. A chart that takes 10 seconds to understand, compared to one that takes only 2 seconds, could mean the difference between a sale and no sale.
Your data is only as powerful as your visual presentation of it.
In this course, you will learn the fundamentals and best practices of data visualization techniques, as well as hands-on approaches to using Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint to present your data in a variety of formats.
You will complete multiple exercises and create various types of visualizations and charts throughout the course. You will also work individually and in groups to analyze, redesign, and improve poorly designed charts that are provided.
Who should attend?
Those with a foundational understanding of Microsoft Excel® and PowerPoint®, who work regularly with data and wish to design basic and more advanced charts, graphs, and tables
- The history and current landscape of information and data design
- Basic principles of graphic, information, and layout design
- “Chart Junk” and how to remove it to improve clarity
- Basic charts such as pies, columns, bars, lines, and variations of these
- Advanced charts such as scatters, bubbles, histograms, bullet graphs, combos, and Paretos
- Specialty charts including units, tree maps, and proportional shapes
- How to make use of trend lines, reference bands, annotations, and direct labeling
- When to use Excel® and PowerPoint® to create tables, how to properly design them, and how to apply conditional formatting to create heat maps and table lenses
- Tricks, tips, and techniques for overcoming Excel and PowerPoint limitations and creating proper workflows
The course is priced as follows: $2195 - Non-members
$1995 - AMA members
$1889 - GSA price
Certification / Credits
- Understand basic graphic design principles and how audiences process information visually
- Learn how to make use of emphasis, color, layout, and typography to maximize the clarity of your messages
- Become familiar with available tools/techniques for data visualization
- Understand the differences between “Glanceable” and “Referenceable” visualizations and how to harness the power of each
- Increase the impact and strength of your messages by choosing the most effective chart for a given data set and story in various circumstances
- Learn the one color that you should make use of in every visualization, the one default element that should be removed from every chart, how legends can confuse your audience, why a bar is nearly always better than a pie, and common design mistakes that distort your data and damage your credibility
For over 90 years, American Management Association International (AMA) has been a world leader in professional development. AMA supports the goals of individuals, organizations, and government agencies with a complete range of corporate talent transformation solutions, including public open-enrollment seminars...
No reviews available
Need help with your search?
findcourses.com offers a free consultancy service to help compare training for you and your team
You may also like...