Establishing, Maintaining and Fixing Effective PMO - In House
Participants of this course will gain relevant knowledge and skills to establish, operate, and improve a project management office (PMO) – including identifying signs of an underperforming PMO and fixing it before it is too late. In addition, participants will learn to work with PMO staff and with project managers toward maximizing the value projects produce for the organization.
This 3-day course covers the reasoning for establishing a PMO, techniques to establish one and properly positioning it in the organization, advantages of running a successful PMO and guidelines to improve a PMO that is needed for recovery. Participants will explore various types and categories of PMO and each type’s respective functions, advantages and limitations.
The course provides participants with means to evaluate the performance of existing PMOs and equips participants with the ability to explore why PMOs may be underperforming, in order to apply a focused approach for action and turnaround.
This hands-on workshop engages participants at a ratio of 2:1, where 2/3 of the time is dedicated to discussions, conversations, activities, reviews and exercises, and 1/3 to lecture.
Hands-on exercises include:
- Assess the current state of your PMO
- Define project success criteria
- Learn to articulate the prioritization of projects within the organization
- Identify competing demands and prioritization criteria within your project
- Write a PMO Charter
- Identify and apply relevant project health measurements
- Develop a PMO Assessment
- Create a PMO Turnaround Plan
Upcoming start dates
Who should attend?
Project Managers — both new to project management and experienced project managers who want to interact effectively with PMOs, project team members, account managers, members of the PMO and anyone wishing to be more competitive in today’s job market
There is no prerequisite for this course. It functions as a stand-alone course.
- Do we need a PMO?
- Would a PMO add value?
- What kind of PMO is needed?
Establishing a PMO
- What not to do
- Key steps for success
- Create value, identify opportunities
Become a High Performance PMO
- Creating an Organizational Culture of PM
- Continuous evaluation of PMO Performance
- Evolve and improve
The PMO in Action
- Measure your PMO’s Performance
- Overcoming challenges
Trends and Moving Forward
- PMO Trends
- The future of PMOs
- The PMO in an Agile world
Certification / Credits
Credits: 21 PDUs/CEUs
Through project simulation, group exercises, and discussion, participants completing this workshop will be able to:
- Recognize the value and advantages a PMO can bring for an organization
- List actions and conditions required to establish and implement a PMO
- Explore ways to maximize the beneficial a PMO introduces and delivers over time
- Identify trends in PMO value production and reasons for these trends
- Apply models and ways for PMOs to articulate success criteria and produce value for stakeholders
- Realize the importance of periodic evaluations of projects, processes, and competency to provide an objective view of expectations and performance
- Investigate different views of the role of the PMO and how to define an applicable role based on the organizational actual needs
- Prioritize projects and competing demands based on changing conditions
- Employ techniques to revitalize and improve the performance of an existing PMOs that fall short of delivering the intended value
Contact this provider
Procept Associates Ltd.
Since 1963, Procept (and its subsidiaries) have trained over 1 million people from over 17,000 organizations. We focus on developing competencies in project management, change management, agile management, leadership, business analysis, IT and data management, as well as soft skill...