Well Log Interpretation – WLI
The most universal, comprehensive, and concise descriptive documents on oil and gas wells are logs. They impact the work of almost every oilfield group from geologists to roustabouts to bankers. Familiarity with the purposes and optimum applications of well logs is, therefore, essential for people forging their careers in the oil business. The instructor uses a novel approach to help participants develop a good grounding in understanding and applying well logging techniques. General principles of physics are presented to explain the functioning of modern logging tools. Wherever possible, the physics of logging measurements is related to everyday tools and applications. Participants develop an appreciation for the constraints and limitations of operating in the borehole environment. A number of actual log examples are related to basic principles in the description of reservoir properties such as porosity, mineralogy, formation factor, saturation, and hydrocarbon type for essentially clean reservoirs. Cross-plotting and reconnaissance techniques quickly and efficiently discriminate between water, oil, and gas. Participants gain realistic experience by working in teams on a comprehensive log interpretation exercise.
"The course was a perfect overview of well logging." - Operations Geologist, Spain
"Experience of the instructor. His ability to describe things in a clear way and to structure the course in the best way it can be. It was one of the best courses I've ever attended." - Reservoir Engineer
Who should attend?
Petrophysicists, geologists, geophysicists, engineers, technicians, or anyone interested in a solid understanding of the principles of borehole geophysics.
- Logging objectives
- Invasion profile
- Challenge of borehole geophysics
- Passive electrical properties of earth materials
- Resistivity measuring tools, normal, induction, laterolog
- Reservoir/non-reservoir discrimination
- Matrix-sensitivity logs, GR, SGR, Pe
- Depth measurements and control
- Borehole calipers
- Porosity-mineralogy logs, density, neutron, sonic
- Porosity determination in clean formations
- Formation resistivity factor
- Conductivity of shales
- Porosity log crossplots and mineralogy identification
- Partially saturated rock properties and Archie Equation
- Linear movable oil plot
- Reconnaissance techniques, Rwa, FR/FP, logarithmic scaler
- Porosity-resistivity crossplots
- Permeability relationships
- Nuclear magnetic resonance
- Use of pressure measurements
- Computerized log evaluation
- Sidewall coring
- Recommended logging programs
Certification / Credits
You will learn how to:
- Identify reservoirs
- Determine mineralogy, porosity, and saturation in various lithogies
- Recognize the importance of electrical properties of earth materials
- Highlight oil mobility
- Interpret pressure profiles
- Understand optimum tools and logging programs
- Apply quick-look methods of formation evaluation
PetroSkills is the world leader in training and knowledge transfer in the oil and gas industry. For over 60 years, we have provided the highest quality classroom, virtual, online, simulator training, and e-Learning; all of which is directed and vetted...
Contact this provider
Average rating 4.3Based on 37 reviews.
Have a question about this course? Fill out this form and the provider will get in touch with you shortly
Need help with your search?
findcourses.com offers a free consultancy service to help compare training for you and your team
You may also like...