Basic Drilling, Completion and Workover Operations – BDC
This course presents the basics of drilling and completion operations, plus post-completion enhancement (workovers). Participants will learn to visualize what is happening downhole, discover what can be accomplished, and learn how drilling and completion can alter reservoir performance. Learn to communicate with drilling and production personnel. No experience or prerequisites are required.
For the virtual session, course hours are 08:00am-12:00pm Central US Time (GMT-5:00), Monday through Friday over two weeks.
"For an overview, all of the subjects had adequate time. I'm a midcareer engineer - I'll take any class PetroSkills offers!" - Petroleum Engineer, United States
"Liked the entire course. Really enjoyed the first section on earth mechanics!" - Drilling Completions Technician, United States
BDC is also available as an on-demand, self-paced online course.
Who should attend?
Technical, field, service, support, and supervisory personnel desiring to gain an awareness of wellbore operations. Excellent for cross-training of other technical disciplines such as reservoir and facility engineers, geoscientists, supervisors, service personnel, and anyone who interacts with drilling, completion or workover engineers.
- Overview of the drilling process
- Language of drilling, completing, and well intervention
- Drill string components: bits and accessories
- Drilling fluids and hydraulics
- Hole problems, stuck pipe, side-tracking and fishing
- Cores and coring
- Electric logging, MWD, LWD
- Casing design and installation
- Primary and remedial cementing
- Directional, horizontal, multilateral and under-balanced drilling
- Wellhead equipment and trees
- Options for completions and workovers
- Tubing, packers and completion equipment
- Safety and flow control devices
- Open hole completions
- Coil tubing operations
- Wireline techniques
- Well stimulation - surfactants, solvents, acidizing, hydraulic fracturing
- Formation and sand control - mechanical retention, chemical consolidation, and gravel packing
- Scale and corrosion
- Directional drilling and multi-laterals
- Scale and corrosion
- Paraffin and asphaltenes
Certification / Credits
You will learn:
- How to comprehend drilling and workover reports
- What can be done within open-hole and cased wells, as a part of reservoir management
- How drilling practices can optimize cash flow and ultimate recovery
- How to communicate with drilling and production personnel
Average rating 4.1
"An excellent job ensuring the class understood drilling and completion fundamentals."
"The time alloted for each of the subjects is perfect."
"Liked the interactive part and the great knowledge of the teacher. Everything was explained very clear."
PetroSkills is the world leader in training and knowledge transfer in the oil and gas industry. For over 60 years, we have provided the highest quality classroom, virtual, online, simulator training, and e-Learning; all of which is directed and vetted...