Media Lab Beyond Smart Cities: Emerging Design and Technology
Earn an official certificate of professional achievement from Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
With more than half of the world’s population living in urban areas, there’s a growing interest in developing smarter, safer, and more sustainable cities that are responsive to their citizens. While smart city solutions typically focus on digital enhancements to existing urban infrastructure, the MIT Media Lab Beyond Smart Cities: Emerging Design and Technology online short course goes beyond optimizations. Over six weeks, you’ll explore ways in which disruptive technology can dramatically improve planning, design, and management of contemporary cities for a more resilient future. Guided by MIT faculty, you’ll discover how technologies like data analytics, artificial intelligence (AI), new urban systems, real-time simulations, and predictive urban design can be leveraged to realize more entrepreneurial, high-performance, and livable urban communities.
Who should attend?
Is this course for you?
This online course is designed for professionals interested in urban planning and design, who are seeking ways to transform cities for a more sustainable and vibrant future. With a focus on technology and data, the program is particularly relevant to those who are focused on designing, investing in, and delivering smart city solutions.
Design and technology for people-centric cities
The mobility revolution and urban robotics
The live-work transformation: Robotics, prefabrication, and IoT technology
A network of neighborhoods: AI, real-time simulation, and emerging systems
Sustainable communities: Local production and lower consumption
Governance: Token economies and algorithmic zoning for prosocial behaviors
Course delivery details
- 6 weeks Excluding orientation
- 7-9 hours per week Self-paced learning online
Certification / Credits
- Learn to harness disruptive technology for sustainable, smart city solutions and earn a certificate from the MIT Media Lab.
- Assessment is continuous and based on a series of practical assignments completed online. In order to be issued with a certificate, you’ll need to meet the requirements outlined in the course handbook. The handbook will be made available to you as soon as you begin the course.
- What will set you apart
On completion of this course, you’ll walk away with:
- The ability to leverage technological innovation to improve design, planning, and policy of urban living.
- Strategies for more effective land use, distributed energy systems, and alternative mobility.
- The skills to recognize and identify the challenges in contemporary city design, with solutions for healthier and more sustainable city systems.
Why choose GetSmarter?
- Data-driven course selection
- Outcomes-based design
- People-mediated delivery
GetSmarter™, powered by 2U, is an online learning expert with over 10 years' experience in developing premium online short courses from the world’s leading universities and institutions. We are powered by 2U to support you in unlocking your potential through...