Analysing Health Systems: Lessons From COVID-19
Earn an official certificate of professional achievement from The London School of Economics and Political Science
COVID-19 has tested the resilience of health systems around the world. Not only has the pandemic shown that global systems are unprepared for health crises of this nature, but it has also revealed other pre-existing failures in providing reliable and equitable care to people around the world. Why have there been more cases and deaths in some countries compared to others? How much of this difference is due to the country’s health system?
This six-week Analysing Health Systems: Lessons From COVID-19 online certificate course from the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) has been designed by faculty from the Department of Health Policy at LSE. Their aim is to influence and improve how health policy and systems are designed, implemented, and evaluated through multidisciplinary research and teaching. These experts have made substantive contributions to health planning and delivery on the global stage.
The course explores the many ways the pandemic has challenged the structure of existing health systems – these effects range from financial losses and disparities in healthcare quality and coverage to failings in institutional and health system governance. Through the lens of COVID-19, you’ll develop the tools and expertise to critically evaluate the performance of health systems, and examine the reasons why some were better prepared than, and outperformed, others. On this course, you’ll gain a technical understanding of health system performance and response, learn to identify and understand the systematic issues experienced around the world, and determine the actions required to improve these structures.
Who should attend?
Is this course for you?
This course is designed to provide medical and public sector professionals with the tools to measure and monitor healthcare service delivery, analyse past response frameworks, and better prepare for future health crises. Civil servants, policymakers, researchers, and advisors will gain fresh insights and perspectives related to health system performance to help improve the analysis and development of related policy. Hospital directors, healthcare administrators, and public health specialists will benefit from validating their existing experience and engaging with an international cohort of peers. Senior managers and those in positions of leadership will enhance their ability to take charge in future pandemic situations.
Develop health system strategies to facilitate high-quality care as you work through the weekly modules of this online certificate course.
Introduction to COVID-19 politics and policy
The health and economic consequences of COVID-19
A comparative perspective on assessing the COVID-19 health system impact
Healthcare quality and the impact of COVID-19
Health system surveillance
Course delivery details
- 6 weeks (excluding orientation)
- 7-10 hours per week Self-paced learning online
Certification / Credits
- Gain the skills to evaluate the performance of a health system and earn an official certificate of competence from the London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Assessment is continuous and based on a series of practical assignments completed online. In order to be issued with a certificate, you’ll need to meet the requirements outlined in the course handbook. The handbook will be made available to you as soon as you begin the course.
- Your certificate will be issued in your legal name and sent to you upon successful completion of the course, as per the stipulated requirements
What will set you apart
On completion of this course, you’ll walk away with:
- A comprehensive overview of the social, political, and policy structures influencing the level to which health systems are prepared for pandemics.
- The expertise to technically assess health system performance, and leverage data integration to better manage current and future healthcare requirements.
- An analytical view of the effect of COVID-19 on global health systems, and how factors such as resource and funding constraints impact responses.
- A toolkit of strategies and tactics geared to repair and restructure health systems, and facilitate high-quality and equitable care.
- Unlimited access to 2U’s Career Engagement Network, offering you exclusive resources and events to support your professional journey and drive your career forward.
Why choose GetSmarter?
- Data-driven course selection
- Outcomes-based design
- People-mediated delivery
GetSmarter™, powered by 2U, is an online learning expert with over 10 years' experience in developing premium online short courses from the world’s leading universities and institutions. We are powered by 2U to support you in unlocking your potential through...