The Inclusive STEM Teaching ProjectedX
The Inclusive STEM Teaching Project
All available course dates
The Inclusive STEM Teaching Project
Throughout this six-week online course, we will ask you to engage in deep reflection and discussions around topics of equity and inclusion in learning environments across a variety of institutional contexts. This course is designed to improve our participants’ awareness, self-efficacy, and ability of doctoral students, postdocs, and faculty to create inclusive STEM learning environments for their students. To center the identity of faculty and students and facilitate deep reflection, we employ key features including: embodied case studies, affinity spaces, and an inclusivity framework portfolio. These activities are collectively designed to nurture a transformative mindset and help our participants reflect deeply on key identity-related aspects of each module as they go through the course, and to help them apply these aspects in tangible ways to their own teaching and learning contexts.
Who should attend?
Course participants are expected to enter recognizing 1) racism, sexism, heterosexism, ableism, ageism, classism, etc. are real and present and 2) being a reflective, inclusive instructor is a lifelong process of discovery that requires continuous learning.
- DEI in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education: In this module, participants will examine issues of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI), especially around power, privilege and positionality, in both their local institutional context (e.g., classroom, laboratory, research group) as well as at a national level.
- Instructor Identity and Authority in STEM Classrooms: This module will guide participants from a range of backgrounds to reflect upon their individual identities and the ways in which those identities influence their experience as instructors and impact their students’ learning.
- Student Identities and Experiences in the STEM Classroom: In this module, participants will review social identity frameworks introduced in the Instructor Identity and Authority module and explore how students’ social identities impact teaching practices and student learning. Participants will also explore key theories of implicit bias, growth mindset, stereotype threat and imposter phenomenon and their impact on students’ classroom experience and learning.
- Creating an Inclusive STEM Course: In this module, participants will explore and apply strategies for designing an inclusive course. Participants will explore the typical approaches to course design and unpack the structures and assumptions related to power, positionality, and privilege that cause those approaches to create barriers for student learning.
- Fostering an Inclusive Climate in the STEM Classroom: In this module, participants will become aware of, reflect on, and explore how to develop and implement inclusive and evidenced-based teaching practices that are drawn from research and student experiences of learning.
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Boston University, a partner institute of EdX.
2-3 hours per week
- Verified Track -$49
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
Participants in this course will...
- Examine issues of diversity, equity and inclusion in higher education
- Reflect on their own and their students’ identities and experiences
- Question their assumptions about all aspects of instruction
- Identify and implement learner-centered structures and strategies
- Apply principles of evidence-based inclusive teaching
- Use their student learning data and feedback to inform pedagogical and curricular choices
Solutions for Your Biggest Business Challenges:
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...
Contact this provider
Have a question about this course? Fill out this form and the provider will get in touch with you shortly
No reviews available
Need help with your search?
findcourses.com offers a free consultancy service to help compare training for you and your team