The course will provide teachers with an understanding of how to incorporate outdoor education topics into their existing STEM curriculum. The focus of this course is to provide resources and skills for incorporating outdoor education into your curriculum for students to make the connection between their community and their learning. The course will feature engaging activities on a limited budget, so as to be accessible for every classroom. Each activity uses an inquiry lens to allow students to focus on aspects of their community that are important to them and to build student agency and ownership around these topics.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Module 1: Introduction to Art in Engineering
Learn about why Outdoor Education is important and how to relate it to your other STEM topics.
Module 2: Bringing the Outside Inside
This module explains how to learn about Outdoor Education and STEM from inside instead of worrying about field trips and the management aspect of being in the community. It goes through various different activities for how you can bring outdoor education inside the classroom.
Module 3: Place Based and Land Based Learning
Learn the difference between these topics and where to find resources to teach about the First People’s Principles knowledge of the land you are on.
Course delivery details
This course is offered through University of British Columbia, a partner institute of EdX.
1-2 hours per week
- Verified Track -$15
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Learn the importance of outdoor education and the many skills it provides our students for the real-world
- Understand how familiar outdoor spaces for the students can create rich learning environments where teachers can incorporate content and make what is learned in school more meaningful and relevant
- Use outdoor education as a way to build connection with the environment and build a platform to then introduce sustainability topics
- Become more comfortable and confident integrating outdoor education into other lessons and activities to create cross-curricular connections
- Create inquiry-based learning activities based on Outdoor Ed and your own region
- Gain resources and confidence to incorporate First People’s Principles into your science and outdoor education
- Find relevant resources that can be incorporated into your curriculum
- Build connections between outdoor education and other curriculum areas including Core Competencies, Science, Math, and ADST
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...