Teaching with Physical Computing: Introduction to Project-Based Learning
Arm’s first professional development course introduces you to the core elements of physical computing. This includes common Arm-based hardware platforms such as Arduino, Raspberry Pi and micro:bit, as well as the learning theories and concepts that underpin a Project-Based Learning pedagogy. The course helps you transform your approach to teaching Computer Science in the classroom, sharing best practice and practical guides to give all learners the opportunity to develop and practice a broad range of STEM skills.
The course explores how physical computing devices can enable educators to apply a constructionist approach to computing in the classroom, using real-world contexts to engage and inspire learners to be creative with technology.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Familiarity with Computing subject knowledge and its practical application, along with basic knowledge of electronics/hardware/boards/sensors.
- Required hardware and software (micro:bit, Arduino, Raspberry Pi)
- The big picture of physical computing
- Brief description of the orthodoxies
- The big picture of learning
- The ASP approach
- Comprehensive reflection on many learning theories
- Comprehensive reflection on many teaching approaches
- Computational thinking
- Classroom investigation
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Arm Education, a partner institute of EdX.
1-2 hours per week
- Verified Track -$49
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- A comprehensive introduction to Project-Based Learning and Physical Computing
- An understanding of the ‘big picture’ of Physical Computing, and why it’s essential to STEM & Computing education
- An introduction to how the Arm School Program structures its PBL teaching and learning resources
- A deeper sense of the practices which underline Project-Based Learning, from teaching approach to learning theory
- Resources that help you to deliver an engaging, practical and inclusive class for your students
- Finish the course with a classroom investigation, which helps you put your learning into practice
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...