STEM & Sustainability
This course will provide teachers with an understanding of how to incorporate sustainability topics into their existing STEM curriculum. Each module will feature engaging activities on a limited budget so as to be accessible for every classroom. Each activity uses an inquiry lens to allow students to focus on aspects of sustainability that are important to them and to build student agency and ownership around these topics.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Module 1: What is Sustainability?
- Defining Sustainability
- First Peoples' Principles
- Activity: SEL & Sustainability
Module 2: Exploring Sustainable Solutions
- Topics of Environmental Sustainability
- Engineers & Scientists Role in Environmental Sustainability
- Spheres of Influence
Module 3: Sustainable City Planning
- Sustainable City Planning
- Lesson Plan
- Community Mapping Activity
Module 4: Short and Impactful Sustainability Activities
- Discussion: Sustainability in Your Classroom
Course delivery details
This course is offered through University of British Columbia, a partner institute of EdX.
2-3 hours per week
- Verified Track -$15
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
By the end of this course you will...
- develop a deeper understanding of what sustainability is,
- be able to provide and recognize sustainable solutions to real-world problems,
- create connections between STEM and sustainability,
- build connections between sustainability and other curricular areas including First People's Principles of Learning, and British Columbia's Core Competencies
- gain strategies for evaluating sustainability activities,
- be able to incorporate sustainable practices in the classroom without making drastic changes to your existing teaching practices.
In addition to the above course learning objectives, you may wish to set additional goals for yourself. We encourage you to do this and to consistently check in on these goals in each module to ensure you are staying on track with your individual learning objectives!
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...