Operations Research: An Active Learning Approach
Operations management deals with operational planning and control issues, and is needed in all sectors of the society. One of the challenges to operations manager is how to make use of the available resources in the best way for meeting a certain objective. Quantitative approaches are inevitably needed in tackling many of such problems.
Operations Research (OR) deals with problem formulation and application of analytical methods to assist in decision-making of operational problems in planning and control. The techniques of OR are useful quantitative tools to assist operations managers, and has a wide applicability in engineering, manufacturing, construction, financial and various service sectors.
Operations Research is an applied mathematics subject and is also a course in many engineering and management programmes. This course is designed for both students learning OR and learners who are practitioners in their respective professionals. The mathematical procedures for the OR techniques are introduced in details in the examples provided in the course. This helps learners to master the methodology and the techniques and apply them to achieve their goals through active learning.
Upcoming start dates
Inquire for more information
- Virtual Classroom
Who should attend?
- Knowledge of mathematics at high school level
- Knowledge of probability distributions and statistics, and preferably basic calculus, for learning Simulation
- Introduction to Operations Research
- Linear Programming and Simplex Method
- Further Techniques in Simplex Method
- Transportation Problem and Assignment Problem
- Critical Path Method for Project Scheduling
- Further Topics in Critical Path Method
Course delivery details
This course is offered through The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, a partner institute of EdX.
4-6 hours per week
- Verified Track -$99
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
At the end of this course, you'll will be able to:
- understand and apply the methodology of Operations Research to investigate and tackle your operational problems;
- formulate and apply the techniques of Linear Programming and the extended topics to solve certain optimization problems;
- apply the techniques of Critical Path Method and PERT in project management;
- appreciate the use of simulation in studying the behaviour of stochastic operations systems;
- and understand the limitations of these techniques.
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...