Design Thinking and Creativity for Innovation
Innovation matters to everyone, including managers in small or large organizations, start-up entrepreneurs, those in government roles, or teachers.
This course looks at how individuals and organizations use creativity and design thinking skills to identify and choose opportunities that enable innovation. Creative problem solving skills are developed and enhanced through a range of real world activities. An overview of design thinking tools is provided to help students understand design thinking as a problem solving approach. Ideas developed through these processes are then applied to a customer discovery approach to understand their value in the market place.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
- English writing/reading proficiency (required)
- General knowledge of business processes (recommended)
Week 1: What is creativity, innovation and design
The core concepts of creativity, design and innovation
Week 2: Creativity Myths
Mistaken beliefs about creativity and why they're dangerous
Week 3: Creative people, creative organizations
Ideas and tools to help both people and organisations work more creatively
Week 4: Impact and purpose
Measuring impact and the value created through creativity
Week 5: Design thinking for innovation
The role of empathy in the design thinking process and the tools we can use
Week 6: How do we learn what people want?
How we ensure learning fits people's needs
Week 7: Experiments
Designing and executing experiments for value creation
Week 8: The design sprint
Principles of a design sprint and how to make it happen
Week 9: Distributed creativity
How diversity and collaboration through networks support the creativity process
Week 10: Moving from ideas to impact
Bring the ideas presented in this course together and show how organizations can create impact from ideas
Course delivery details
This course is offered through The University of Queensland, a partner institute of EdX.
8-10 hours per week
- Verified Track -$99
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- The nature of human creativity and innovation,
- How creativity and design thinking help business to solve complex problems,
- The process and tools of design thinking,
- Different creativity and design processes and how it can be used to generate better ideas,
- How to use a variety of tools to help validate your ideas to improve their chances for impact,
- The use of design sprints to integrate the different elements of the course into a systematic method for generating and testing new ideas,
- How to build organizations that support creative and innovative thinking.
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...