Data for Effective Policy Making
In this age of information, data is available everywhere and grows at an exponential rate. How can we make sense of all this data? How do we take advantage of data when making decisions? How do we use data to help us guide the management and planning of our policies?
Whether you are a citizen or a policymaker, learning the answers to these questions can benefit you greatly.
In this course, you will strengthen your ability to use, understand, and interpret data. Using the "Numbers for Development" and "Caribbean Data Portal" platforms developed by the IDB - which presents data and socioeconomic indicators from the Latin American and Caribbean region - you will be able to understand how to improve the decision-making process in public management.
At the end of the course, you will have gained the tools to navigate data, perform and interpret visualizations, and understand the different types of data analysis according to the policy to be implemented.
Don't worry, it's not a statistics course! However, you will acquire the knowledge necessary to interpret graphs, statistical reports, and understand their language. And, most importantly, you will learn the foundations to be able to base your decisions on verifiable data, beyond intuition.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Inter-American Development Bank, a partner institute of EdX.
3-4 hours per week
- Verified Track -$25
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Recognize the importance of the relationship between data analysis and decision-making in public management.
- Define the research problem, the starting hypothesis, the analysis variables and some methods to verify the hypotheses.
- Identify the methodology that best responds to the problem posed to collect, interpret and analyze the data.
- Interpret and develop different types of visualizations, using specific examples from the Numbers portal for the Development of a data set.
- Use data analysis to propose solutions to public policy problems, explain the evaluation of a policy, and to carry out policy planning.
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...