Unit Testing With JUnit 5 & Mocking (With Best Practices)
JUnit 5 and EasyMock make it possible to write higher-quality Java code. These powerful tools are designed to support robust, predictable and automated testing development in the Java enterprise application arena.
Unit Testing Essentials using JUnit 5 and Mockito is a three-day, hands-on unit testing course geared for experienced developers who need to get up and running with essential unit testing skills using JUnit, Mockito, and other tools. Students will leave the course armed with the skills required to leverage solid unit testing practices using the latest industry techniques and best practices. This course quickly introduces developers to the features of JUnit and educates them regarding JUnit’s strengths and weaknesses.
This skills-centric course is about 50% hands-on lab and 50% lecture, designed to train attendees in core unit testing skills, coupling the most current, effective techniques with the soundest industry practices. Working in a hands-on learning environment, guided by our expert team, attendees will learn to:
- Understand what unit testing is and what it is not intended to cover
- Understand JUnit 5.
- Understand and use the JUnit Test Runner interface.
- Use JUnit to drive the implementation of Java code.
- Test applications using native IDE support.
- Best practices and patterns for unit testing.
- Understand JUnit’s strengths and weaknesses
- Understand the role of debugging when done in conjunction with tests.
- Understand not only the fundamentals of the TDD using Java, but also its importance, uses, strengths and weaknesses.
- Understand how JUnit affects your perspective on development and increases your focus on a task.
- Learn good JUnit coding style.
- Create well-structured JUnit programs.
- Understand how JUnit testing can be used for either state-based or interaction-based testing.
- How to extend testing with mock objects using Mockito.
- Look at refactoring techniques available to make code as reusable/robust as possible.
- Discuss various testing techniques.
The following JUnit-based testing frameworks are examined:
- JUnit 5
Session: Unit Testing using JUnit
Lesson: Unit Testing Fundamentals
- Purpose of Unit Testing
- Good Unit Tests
- Test Stages
- Unit Testing Vs Integration Testing
- Understanding Unit Testing Frameworks
Lesson: Jumpstart: JUnit 5.x
- Understand and work with the features of JUnit
- Write unit tests using @Test annotation
- Use @DisplayName to specify a custom name for the test
- Manage fixtures using @BeforeEach, @AfterEach, @BeforeAll and @AfterAll annotations
- Launch tests using @ExtendWith (@RunWith – JUnit 4+) annotation
- Build test suites using @SelectPackages or @SelectClasses
- Use @Disabled to prevent a test class or method from running
- Lab: Demo JUnit
- Lab: Build JUnit Case Study
- Lab: Jumpstart JUnit
- Lab: Reapplying JUnit
- Describe the test execution cycle
- Check for exceptions thrown by test
- Use timeouts to fail test that take longer than required
- Lab: Working with @Test Annotation
- Learn the notation of assertThat
- Know the objective of Hamcrest library
- Use Hamcrest's logical and object matchers
- Use Hamcrest's number and collection matchers
- Lab: Working with Hamcrest
Lesson: Parameterized Tests
- The @ParameterizedTest annotation
- A parameterized test to test code under several conditions
- Generic tests to support parameterized testing
- Lab: Working with Parameterized Tests
Lesson: Advanced Features
- Nested Unit Tests
- Repeated Tests
- JUnit Extensions
- Lambda Support
- Grouped Assertions
- Lab: Working with Advanced Features
Lesson: JUnit Best Practices
- "Good" Tests
- Bad Smell
- White-Box Unit Testing
- Black-Box Unit Testing
- Automation and Coverage
Session: Advanced Topics
Lesson: Mocking of Components
- Why We use Test Dummies
- Mock Objects
- Working with Mock Objects
- Using Mocks with the User Interface
- Mock Object Strategies
Lesson: Mock Objects and Mockito
- Mockito Description and Features
- Mockito Object Lifecycle
- Create/Expect Phase
- Replay/Verify Phase
- Mocking Complex Objects
- Lab: Mock Objects and Mockito
- Lab: Injection
Lesson: Improving Code Quality Through Refactoring
- Refactoring Overview
- Refactoring and Testing
- Refactoring to Design Patterns
- Naming conventions
- Lab: Refactoring
- Lab: Best Practices - Refactoring Tests
Lesson: Adding Testing to the Build Process
- JUnit and Ant
- The Ant JUnit Tag
- Running JUnit Tests from Ant
- Generating a JUnitReport
Course delivery details
Student Materials: Each student will receive a Student Guide with course notes, code samples, software tutorials, diagrams and related reference materials and links (as applicable). Our courses also include step by step hands-on lab instructions and and solutions, clearly illustrated for users to complete hands-on work in class, and to revisit to review or refresh skills at any time. Students will also receive the project files (or code, if applicable) and solutions required for the hands-on work.
Classroom Setup Made Simple: Our dedicated tech team will work with you to ensure your classroom and lab environment is setup, tested and ready to go well in advance of the course delivery date, ensuring a smooth start to class and seamless hands-on experience for your students. We offer several flexible student machine setup options including guided manual set up for simple installation directly on student machines, or cloud based / remote hosted lab solutions where students can log in to a complete separate lab environment minus any installations, or we can supply complete turn-key, pre-loaded equipment to bring ready-to-go student machines to your facility. Please inquire for details, options and pricing.
- Price: $1,895.00
- Discounted Price: $1,231.75
Why choose Trivera Technologies LLC?
Over 25 years of technology training expertise.
Robust portfolio of over 1,000 leading edge technology courses.
Guaranteed to run courses and flexible learning options.
About Trivera Technologies LLC
Trivera Technologies is a IT education services & courseware firm that offers a range of wide professional technical education services including: end to end IT training development and delivery, skills-based mentoring programs,new hire training and re-skilling services, courseware licensing and...
Contact this provider
Before we redirect you to this supplier's website, do you mind filling out this form so that we can stay in touch? You can unsubscribe at any time.
No reviews available
Need help with your search?
findcourses.com offers a free consultancy service to help compare training for you and your team
You may also like...