Accounting has always been about analytical thinking. The skillset that accountants needed to perform math and to keep order has evolved from pencil and paper to typewriters and calculators, then to spreadsheets and accounting software. A new skillset that is becoming more important for nearly every aspect of a business is big data analytics: analyzing large amounts of data to find actionable insights. This course is designed to help accounting professionals develop an analytical mindset and prepare them to use data analytic programming languages like Python and R.
Upcoming start dates
Open-enrollment, you may begin as soon as your application is approved.
- Self-paced Online
The course contains 8 modules:
- Module 0: Course Introduction
- Module 1: Introduction to Accountancy Analytics
- Module 2: Accounting and an Analytics Mindset
- Module 3: Data and its Properties
- Module 4: Data Visualization
- Module 5: Data Visualization 2
- Module 6: Analytic Tools in Excel 1
- Module 7: Analytic Tools in Excel 2
- Module 8: Automation in Excel
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Articulate the benefits of using big data and analytics in the modern accounting profession.
- Describe and implement a framework for using big data to help provide insights that lead to action.
- Critique the ability of a dataset to answer questions, and then assemble data from different sources into a structure that can be summarized, visualized, and analyzed.
- Use Excel, Tableau, and Visual Basic for Applications to design and perform basic and advanced analyses.
Course delivery details
The course is 100% online with Open Enrollment, meaning that you can start the course as soon as you complete the registration and paying the fee.
Course duration is approximately 25-30 hours.
The fee is $95 (USD).
Certification / Credits
Upon successful completion of Beyond the Basics: Data Analytics and Visualization for Accounting Professionals, you will earn a certificate of completion and a digital badge.
In addition, through collaboration with theInstitute of Management Accountantsyou will earn 21.5 ICMA CPE.
Contact this provider
Illinois Gies College of Business | A collaborative space where future business leaders come together
For more than 100 years, Gies College of Business has intentionally designed its innovative programs, leading-edge curriculum, and experiential learning opportunities to empower and prepare students to turn big ideas into meaningful actions. This occurs when students have access to...