Conflict Resolution in Projects - In House
Those who work on projects must have strong conflict resolutions skills because all projects will have some level of conflict. Participants will learn about the types of conflicts that are most likely to occur during the various project phases and will be better able to anticipate and be prepared to manage those conflicts.
There are a number of project management tools that, if used proactively, can either prevent conflicts from occurring or reduce the frequency and magnitude of the conflicts. Course participants will learn conflict resolution models and will use them during group exercises and role play exercises to illustrate conflict resolution best practices in action.
The ability of project managers and project team members to manage conflict in a timely manner can have a dramatic impact on project success.
Upcoming start dates
Who should attend?
Project Managers, Project Coordinators, project team members, subject matter experts who work on projects, as well as anyone who contributes to or supports projects.
There is no prerequisite for this course. It functions as a stand-alone course.
- What is conflict?
- The cost of conflict
- Advantages and disadvantages of conflict
- Healthy versus unhealthy conflict
Stages of Conflict and the Project Life Cycle
- Stages of conflict
- Types of conflicts that occur on projects
- When conflict is the highest on projects
- The relationship between project phases and types of conflict
Using PM Tools to Reduce Conflict
- The Project Charter
- Stakeholder Analysis
- Scope Management System
- Communication Plan
- The WBS & Resource Assignments
Conflict Resolution Models
- Thomas-Kilmann Instrument
- Dual Concern model
- 2 Minute Model
- Boundary Model
- Social Style Model
Conflict Management Best Practices
- Setting ground rules
- Active Listening
- Defining interests versus positions
- Balancing assertiveness and empathy
- Using an independent standard
- 10 best practices for managing and resolving conflict
- What you have learned & Action plan
Certification / Credits
Credits: 14 PDUs/CEUs
After completing this interactive workshop, participants will:
- Be aware of the cost of conflict in projects
- Increase their awareness of the types of conflicts that are likely to occur during project phases
- Know how to proactively avoid or manage conflicts using project management tools
- Understand and apply models that can be used to resolve project conflict
- Know how to apply conflict resolution best practices
- Return to the workplace better equipped to manage conflict on projects
Contact this provider
Procept Associates Ltd.
Since 1963, Procept (and its subsidiaries) have trained over 1 million people from over 17,000 organizations. We focus on developing competencies in project management, change management, agile management, leadership, business analysis, IT and data management, as well as soft skill...