This micro-credential program addresses the crucial public need to provide linguistically- and culturally-appropriate care to Spanish speakers. This program improves communication skills with patients and is adaptable to various skill ranges, from learners with minimal formal training in Spanish to (aspiring) certified bilingual healthcare professionals and medical interpreters. Increase your awareness of Hispanic cultures related to healthcare, including understanding of cultural differences between Spanish and English-speaking regions.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
The program is designed for:
- Individual learners and/or companies in medical and health related fields.
- Pre-professionals/undergraduate students, graduate students and working healthcare professionals with a minimum of SP 102 or proven equivalent of language ability.
Module 1: in the Basic Office: the Medical Appointment
- Learn and practice common greetings, saluatations, cultural courtesy and customs.
- Obtain a basic medical history from the patient.
- Recognize the difference between one-way and two-way communication (and use each according to your linguistic ability and comfort).
- End the medical appointment with instructions and/or treatment plans.
Module 2: the Human Body
- Recall major body parts commonly used in your healthcare setting.
- Reference body parts in relation to pain and/or symptoms, illnesses.
- Link body systems to body parts and processes.
Module 3: Food and Nutrition
- Identify and use (in speech and writing) common words and pharses related to food and nutrition.
- Create a list of useful, frequently used words and phrases for your specific medical setting.
Course delivery details
Certification / Credits
Topics are covered in Spanish and English:
- Cultural factors
- Risk factors
- Disease prevention
- Healthy lifestyles
Why choose Ball State Lifetime Learning?
Non-credit courses taught by faculty and industry experts in flexible formats
Alternative options to pay for courses including WIOA and GI Bill funding
Online career training programs under 3 months to get you career-ready
Contact this provider
Lifetime Learning by Ball State University
Lifetime Learning offers innovative micro-credentials for learners in all stages of life, providing seamless opportunities to enhance a personal or professional brand and learn for the life you want to live. Lifetime Learning serves adults, college students, and businesses with...