Energy Academy: Module 3 - Gas Products and Trading
A foundation to intermediate level programme to provide participants with an introduction to commodity trading across the oil, gas, coal, electricity, and renewables markets. The course will provide insight into each of the energy commodities, their global supply and demand characteristics and how they are traded physically and with derivative financial instruments.
We will examine the role of risk management and hedging and best practices and strategies for the trading of energy commodities. In addition, the programme will cover the latest developments in the biofuel, petrochemical and renewable fuels and how they are changing strategies associated with traditional energy commodities. Each module will also show how differing energy commodities interact with each other and with other commodity groups
This is a highly interactive course with exercises designed to increase participant engagement and uses up to date material and many real-world examples. Each module of the course will feature trading simulations that allow participants to use the knowledge they have built to develop trading strategies in an interactive environment.
Upcoming start dates
26 June, 2023
27 November, 2023
Who should attend?
Who Should Attend?
This course would be useful for those looking to increase their understanding of energy commodities and trading and risk management. It is particularly relevant to:
- Middle Office, Back Office and Operations staff in Energy Trading Companies
- Junior Traders
- Commodity Analysts
- Commodity Sales and Marketing Professionals
- Compliance and Regulatory Professionals who wish to understand the basics of trading
- Lawyers and Legal Professionals who wish to understand the basics of trading
Day 6: Module 3 – Natural Gas Trading
Natural Gas Supply and Demand and market evolution
- What is natural gas and what its major constituents
- Traditional natural gas supply and demand
- North Sea
- Middle East
- The growth of US Shale Gas and its global impact
- Pipeline gas supply and the short term markets
- Physical gas contracts
- Natural gas Fundamentals
- Natural Gas Storage
- How is natural gas priced ?
- How natural gas interacts with other energy commodities
Exercises including natural gas balancing and US pipeline supply
Day 7: Module 3 - Gas Trading
Forward gas trading and derivative instruments
- Derivative Trading instruments in natural gas
- Futures Trading
- Futures Clearing
- OTC Clearing
- Forward Curves
- Gas pricing hubs and their development
- Hedging Natural gas
- Current market developments
- Gas trading strategies
Exercises including hedging exercises and the first of our gas trading simulations,
TRADING SIMULATION 4 - Trading and hedging with gas derivative markets 2 Hours
Day 8: Module 3 - Gas Trading
- LNG and the Global Gas market
- What is LNG and how is it produced ?
- Global supply and demand and likely changes over the coming years
- LNG shipping
- LNG tolling and shipping contracts
- The evolution of LNG derivative markets
- Alternative uses of LNG (transportation fuels)
Exercises and worked examples and the second of our gas trading simulations,
TRADING SIMULATION 5 - Gas arbitrage using LNG and hedging 2 Hours
Course fee: £3645 + VAT
Certification / Credits
- Participants will gain an understanding of the fundamentals of energy commodities
- Participants will be introduced to physical and derivative trading of energy commodities and how they are linked
- We will explore current market trends and likely future developments with the use of many up to date exercises and examples
- Participants will discover how energy markets and other commodity markets are linked and how to use this knowledge to develop effective trading strategies
- Using our simulations Participants will have the opportunity to apply what they have learnt to practice trading energy commodities often simulating real historical tie periods and events.
Why choose Euromoney Learning?
4.6/5 rating on course check for service
60,000 professionals trained across public courses
80+ countries where training is delivered
Contact this provider
At Euromoney Learning, we understand that learning doesn’t start and end when you leave the classroom. We know that the financial markets never stand still, and that technology has both simplified and added complexity at a break-neck pace. That’s why...