Writing Video Game Characters
You might spend two hours with a character in a movie, but you can spend hundreds of hours interacting with the player character, antagonists and all the non-player characters (NPCs) in a video game. Getting character right is a vital part of getting the game right.
This course will teach you how to create a player character who fits into the mechanics of a video game and all the limitations of the medium, as well as how to create memorable player characters and how to deepen and develop them.
We’ll discuss how characters relate to gameplay, working with existing intellectual property (I.P.) and how a great game needs a great villain. Finally we’ll dive deep into the world of NPCs, exploring the tremendous variety of characters who can populate a video game, and how to make them distinct and interesting.
Verified learners will access additional game industry interviews, assignments and discussion topics, connecting with a community of other writers and game enthusiasts.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Module 1: The Player Character
- What is a player character?
- Gameplay and the player character
- Creating a memorable player character
- Introducing your player character
Module 2: Deepening the Player Character
- Deepening your main character
- Core relationships
- Working with I.P.
Module 3: The Antagonist
- What is an antagonist?
- Creating an Unforgettable Villain
- Breaking bad - developing a villain
- Boss battles
Module 4: NPCs - Friends
- Non-Player Characters
- Evolving relationships
- Creating distinct NPCs
Module 5: NPCs - Foes
- The baddies
- The rogues gallery
- Creating distinct enemies
Course delivery details
This course is offered through University of British Columbia, a partner institute of EdX.
4-6 hours per week
- Verified Track -$149
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Develop an understanding of how character and gameplay relate
- Learn how to create a diverse, memorable character
- Understand how character relationships influence gameplay
- Explore the roles of antagonism, allies, and static and dynamic character relationships
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...