The Program Management Office (PMO) - The Strategy Execution Arm
Organizations and stakeholders are having to simplify, break molds, and remove resistance to delivering faster at scale. Program Management Office (PMO) is the entity that can bring this leadership and provide ownership. The type of PMO affects what success looks like strategically for the enterprise.
In order to reach a 10X organization, leaders who understand the business and operational models and what enhancements they require are vital.
- The pressure to reach a 10X plus organization is requiring leaders who understand the business and operational models and what enhancements are vital by using value-driven roadmaps;
- Studies have shown that 95% of the decisions we make are the result of an intuitive approach and not of rational logic. Addressing program biases and enhancing experimentation will contribute to our sustained relevance of program management in the marketplace.
In this course, you will learn how organizations are having to simplify, break molds, use meaningful templates, and remove resistance to deliver programs faster at scale. Focusing on project performance and getting the PMO to take the lead in maintaining standards and enhancing the quality of our investment decisions and the proper cascading of those choices are critical successful execution measures. The portfolio management view will provide you with critical risk-based governance skills and a practical understanding of how to build hybrid program teams. Change management and transformation initiatives solve complex issues and you will learn how to contribute to building and driving learning and continuously improving future organizations.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
- Week 1: The first week sets the stage for the role program management offices play in driving strategic efforts, creates an understanding of the value-driven mindset highlighted in the PMBOK Guide in the actions of the PMO, and illustrates with practical consulting examples the secret sauce of empowering staff to turn to focus on program’s value into programs success.
- Week 2: With 46% of company cultures having management teams at odds with agile values, the second week explores how PMOs have been leading the movement to insert the right degree of agile practices in new projects, showcases examples of the methodical shift by senior management to a hybrid organization, and highlight agile use in industries such as infrastructure and construction where traditionally this could not be thought of.
- Week 3: According to the project management institute (PMI’s) Pulse of the Profession survey, 73% of programs and projects at organizations with high project management maturity meet their original business intent, so during this week diving into risk-based governance will contribute to enterprise-wide maturing of the right balance between alignment and autonomy, using the Spotify model and other governance examples will explain how PMOs, project management tools, and KPIs focus on outcome realization across business lines can support strategic agility.
- Week 4: The last week covers the vital importance of fitting project management processes and the PMOs as the enterprise learning engines of the future, the role the portfolio management office (PMO) plays in mentoring and providing the End to End (E2E) views, how to shift where program managers spend their time, using a simulation white paper to activate the learning culture, understand the role of PMIS for decision-making in the ‘project economy, and how to seek out skill sets from across the business to guide continuous improvement and achievement of program benefits.
Course delivery details
This course is offered through The University of Maryland, College Park, a partner institute of EdX.
2-3 hours per week
- Verified Track -$249
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- How to make the value of execution excellence an ongoing organizational priority
- How do you develop the value mindset and the benefits management muscles of the program teams
- The understanding of co-creating within project teams and why in project planning and execution, moving to a hybrid way of working allows us to get the most out of the program life cycle and the choices teams make to be organized and work.
- How do you design risk-based program governance around business goals, explore the risk appetite, and cascade the risk management strategy across the portfolios of programs and projects?
- How does a supportive PMO use risk-based governance to provide meaningful and faster decisions to ensure programs/projects’ success?
- What are the building blocks for a successful strategic project management office (PMO) that drives strategic planning and is the learning engine for the enterprise, enhances the flow of value across programs, and guides continuous improvement?
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...