The Neuropsychology of Decision Making
An introductory course to the complex cognitive process that is human decision-making, from a neuropsychological perspective. Covering basic neuroanatomy, neurodevelopment, important structures, chemicals and networks, individual differences in decision-making and decision-making deficits.
Students will learn about the anatomical underpinnings of a decision and how this anatomy develops, the physiological and chemical processes involved, the importance of the prefrontal cortex in decision-making, the measurement of decision-making in contemporary research, current understandings of the factors that influence the decisions we make and the role of decision-making in complex psychological and neurological disorders.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
There are no prerequisites for this course. It is open to learners from all levels and subjects with an interest in the subject matter.
- Introduction to neuroanatomy & neurodevelopment
- The importance of the prefrontal cortex
- Neurotransmitters, Neurophysiology and decision networks
- Decision making styles & the role of childhood experiences in decision-making
- Decision making deficits
Course delivery details
This course is offered through University of Cambridge, a partner institute of EdX.
3-5 hours per week
- Verified Track -$149
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- To gain an understanding of the brain structures involved in decision-making and how they develop.
- To gain an understanding of the neural mechanisms of decision-making processes and how these are influenced.
- To gain an understanding of decision-making deficits and their role in psychological disorders.
- To identify the key anatomical and physiological components of decision making from a neuropsychological perspective.
- To explain decision-making development in terms of executive function, the role of the prefrontal cortex and influences on development.
- To outline decision-making deficits and roles of decision-making in psychological disorders
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...