Sustainable Development: The Water-Energy-Food Nexus
This course focuses on sustainable development and global changes - vital issues for humanity. There is specific attention paid to the challenges in developed and developing countries and their transition from unsustainable to sustainable practices.
The course is an introduction to sustainable development and its relation to the Water-Energy-Food Nexus. This connection between three critical resources offers a conceptual tool for achieving sustainable development. It has become increasingly important to understand the interdependencies and interrelationships between the three resources. Finding new approaches to manage the nexus could contribute significantly to achieving the Global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Topics of this course include:
- Finding new ways to face water challenges and opportunities
- Renewable energies
- Energy efficiency
- Sustainable agriculture
- Climate change
- Rethinking established ways of resources management
- Types of virtual water
- The interrelationship between local and global challenges and economic as well as population growth
- The role of technology in the WEF nexus as well as managing the nexus at local, regional, and global levels.
This course gives you a solid understanding of the connection between water, energy, and food, and enables you to manage resources in a sustainable and effective way. You’ll build skills and knowledge that are key for sustainable development into the future.
Upcoming start dates
Inquire for more information
- Virtual Classroom
Who should attend?
Course delivery details
This course is offered through RWTH Aachen University, a partner institute of EdX.
1-2 hours per week
- Verified Track -$49
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Global challenges and their limited resources
- How human activities can affect the climate change
- The concept of sustainable development and global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Water scarcity, virtual water, and water footprint
- How to deal with energy challenges and opportunities
- The 'nexus' between water, energy, and food (WEF) and their security
- Desalination in the framework of the WEF nexus
- Dealing with the WEF nexus at local and regional levels
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...