Solar Resource Assessment in Desert Climates
Desert regions may seem optimal for solar energy and the deployment of photovoltaic (PV) applications. However, the heat and dust experienced in the region poses a challenge for the optimal performance of PV modules and reliability of the applications.
In this course, you will learn how to mitigate these challenges by understanding the components of solar radiation and the characteristics of solar cells and the solar spectrum. You will also learn about forecasting and nowcasting and how this influences selecting a site for PV application. The economic impact of PV applications is a key area of interest and this course provides you with knowledge on the costs and benefits of solar energy from PV applications.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
University level mathematics and physics.
- Getting Started
- Components of Solar Radiation and Solar Spectrum
- Assessment and Forecasting of Ground Irradiation, Monitoring of Air Quality, Meteorology and Challenges in Harsh Climates
- Site Selection Considerations for PV System Applications
- Assessing the Effect of Atmospheric Aerosols on Surface Irradiation
- Cost of Energy from PV Technology in Hot Desert Environments
- Techno- Economic Models of PV Technology Diffusion in Fossil-Fuel Rich Countries
- Consolidate yourLearning
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Hamad Bin Khalifa University, a partner institute of EdX.
1-3 hours per week
- Verified Track -$99
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- How to identify components of solar radiation and solar spectrum
- How to analyse site specific data to determine the effect of atmospheric aerosols on surface irradiation
- How to locate the most lucrative, effective and efficient sites for PV application
- How to draw upon regional resources to conduct nowcasting and short-term forecasting
- How to calculate the cost of energy from PV in hot desert environments and estimate its economic impact
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...