Solar Energy: Photovoltaic Materials, Devices, and Modules
In the second course of the Solar Energy program, you will apply the design rules for a solar cell, mastered in the first course, on various photovoltaic (PV) technologies from cell up to module level.
You will be introduced to crystalline silicon, the leading technology on the market. We will cover the manufacturing process from sand to cell and from cell to module, as well as high-efficiency concepts.
You will also be familiarized with thin-film PV technologies, which are an alternative to crystalline silicon technology (III-V semiconductor materials, thin-film silicon, and chalcogenides like CdTe and CIGS, organics and perovskites materials will be covered.) The device architectures and processing methods of the PV technologies will be reviewed as well as novel future concepts for going beyond the conventional limits.
Finally, various metrics will be applied to compare different PV technologies. These are related to performance, costs, reliability and you will be able to evaluate the advantages and limitations of different PV technologies and their applications.
Who should attend?
Completion of the first course of the program is recommended.
- Crystalline Silicon
- Thin-Film PV technologies 1
- Thin-Film PV technologies 2
- Comparing PV technologies
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Delft University of Technology, a partner institute of EdX.
4–6 hours per week
- Verified Track -$199
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Recognize and describe the various photovoltaic technologies and evaluate their applicability
- Understand the manufacturing process and the design rules of crystalline silicon and other PV technologies
- Use various metrics related to performance, costs, reliability and circularity to evaluate the advantages and the limitations of different PV technologies
- Analyze the performance of solar cells and modules
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...