Road Traffic Safety in Automotive Engineering
Engineers in the automotive industry are required to understand basic safety concepts. With increasing worldwide efforts to develop connected and self-driving vehicles, traffic safety is facing huge new challenges. This course is for students or professionals who have a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or similar and who are interested in a future in the vehicle industry or in road design and traffic engineering. It's also of value for people already working in these areas who wantbetter insight into safety issues.
This course teaches the fundamentals of active safety (systems for avoiding crashes or reducing crash consequences) as well as passive safety (systems for avoiding or reducing injuries). Key concepts include in-crash protective systems, collision avoidance, and safe automated driving. The course will introduce scientific and engineering methodologies that are used in the development and assessment of traffic safety and vehicle safety. This includes methods to study the different components of real-world traffic systems with the goal to identify and understand safety problems and hazards. It includes methods to investigate the attitudes and behavior of drivers and other road users as well as recent solutions to improve active safety. Italso includes methods to study human body tolerance to impact and solutions to minimize the injury risk in crashes.
Who should attend?
- Current and upcoming means to reduce traffic related fatalities and injuries
- Car structure design and crash configuration influence on the vehicle occupant loading
- Principles of future integrated safety systems
- Human body biomechanical and physiological response
- Simulations for crash safety assessment
- Importance of active preventive safety and the complexity of the driver/vehicle/environment (DVE) system
- Sensor principles and the design and functions of current active safety systems
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Chalmers University of Technology, a partner institute of EdX.
4-10 hours per week
- Verified Track -$249
- Audit Track - Free
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...