Research Ethics: A Guide for Responsible Research with Human Subjects
Research ethics has become an established and essential part of scientific research with human subjects. In this course, we aim to give you a comprehensive introduction to the topic through the exploration of the main ethical issues that researchers experience in diverse contexts.
How can researchers engage in ethically responsible research? Why does ensuring they do ethical research matter? What type of ethical considerations must researchers take into account before designing their research? In this course, we discuss all these questions and more to get you thinking critically about ethics in human subject research.
Through the use of case studies, videos, interviews, and discussions we will show you how a variety of ethical issues arise in research practice. You will engage with the course materials and other participants through exercises and open discussion boards. You will acquire the skills to identify ethically sensitive or problematic issues in different research settings and start to think about research in ethically responsible ways. The course will give you the tools to apply your moral reasoning in practical, real-life scenarios in research and challenge you to reflect on case studies and provide the tools you need to conduct your own ethical assessment of a research project. Both individually and as part of a research ethics committee. Most importantly, you will learn to identify and question your own ethical biases and to build new well-reasoned arguments for your position on different ethical scenarios.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Bachelor degree (in any subject)
- Course introduction.
- Responsibility in research.
- Ethics Infrastructure and Governance.
- Informed consent: informing participants.
- Informed consent: obtaining consent.
- Vulnerable participants.
- Privacy and confidentiality.
- Research integrity.
- Final exam.
Course delivery details
This course is offered through KU Leuven, a partner institute of EdX.
9-12 hours per week
- Verified Track -$49
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- What research ethics is
- Why ethics is necessary in research
- What are the main ethical issues in research
- How researchers can actively engage with ethics when undertaking research
- Which ethical considerations must be made in research involving human subjects
- What ethical codes and guidelines researchers must follow and the ethical principles that shaped them
- How to assess risks and benefits of research
- What the role of a Research Ethics Committee is
- What are the criteria for a valid informed consent
- How to do research with vulnerable individuals and populations
- How to protect participants’ privacy and confidentiality
- How to identify ethical misconduct in research and understand how to avoid it
- How to critically think of research and apply ethical reasoning
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...