Applying exotic quantum properties such as entanglement to every-day applications such as communication and computation reveals new dimensions of such applications. Quantum encoding and entanglement distribution provide means to establish fundamentally secure communication links for transfer of classical and quantum data.
Generation, transmission and storage of quantum optical information are basic processes required to establish a quantum optical network. This course describes the physics behind these processes and overviews various implementation approaches. Technologies including quantum key distribution, quantum repeaters, quantum memories and quantum teleportation will be discussed and their engineering challenges will be evaluated.
Who should attend?
Students should have knowledge in basic electromagnetic field theory, basic electronic circuits, algebra, calculus, and differential equations.
Introduction and Basic Principles
- Postulates of Quantum Theory
- Hamiltonian and Schrodinger Equation
- Dirac Notation
- Operators Quantum Mechanics
- Heisenberg Uncertainty
- Wave-Particle Duality
- Quantum EM Fields
- Polarization of Optical Fields
- EM Resonators
- Quantum Light
- Two-Level Atom
- Introduction to Light-Atom Interactions
- Three-Level Atoms
- Quantum Cryptography
- Quantum Teleportation
- Quantum Memory
- Entanglement Distribution
- Overview of Quantum Computing Platforms
- Quantum Communication Requirement
- Quantum Communication Hardware
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Purdue University, a partner institute of EdX.
6-9 hours per week
- Verified Track -$750
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Mathematically describe the basic quantum mechanics of light-mater interactions
- Quantify generation and storage of quantum optical information for long-distance quantum communication
- Examine quantum networking protocols and network architectures
- Evaluate engineering challenges in generation and storage of photonic qubits and entanglement distribution
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...