Organizational Design: Creating Competitive Advantage
In order to sustain themselves, organizations need to compete for scarce resources both in input and output markets. Because of this organizations need to create some kind of competitive advantage.
In this business and management course, suitable for managers and leaders in midsize to large organizations, you will learn the principles of organizational design and how design elements can be leveraged to gain competitive advantage. We will discuss various organizational structures and how an effective organizational design can help achieve a company’s goals and objectives in a sustainable manner. Since organizations involve collaborative activities, you’ll also learn how to create suitable control systems, decision-making processes and culture and reporting relationships to ensure that the efforts of a diverse set of employees are suitably coordinated to achieve the organizational purpose.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Basic knowledge of business is necessary and some experience in being part of an organization or running an organization is ideal.
- Interrelationship between organization structure and strategy Case used – Joy of Running Relationship between organizations and markets Control systems in organizations Case used – Cunningham Motors
- Leveraging specialization in organization design Competitive advantage achieved through different designs Case discussion of Ford Motors Company and General Motors
- Strategic outsourcing Decision making framework for outsourcing Variety versus scale tradeoff
- Different Organization Structures – functional, divisional and Matrix Case discussion of a Consumer Durables Company having a hybrid structure Structural tradeoffs – complexity, formalization and centralization
- Mechanistic and Organic designs Case discussion of Acme and Omega
- How to manage structural change Case used – VFM Solutions Putting it all together
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Indian Institute of Management Bangalore, a partner institute of EdX.
4-5 hours per week
- Verified Track -$50
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Interrelationship between an organization’s strategy and structure
- Effective use of control systems
- How to achieve Competitive advantage through different designs
- Structural alternatives such as functional, divisional and matrix
- Structural tradeoffs such as centralization, formalization and complexity
- How to manage structural change
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...