Musculoskeletal Primer for the Non-Orthopedist
The Division of General Medical Disciplines in the Department of Medicine, Occupational Health and Surgical Anatomy at Stanford University School of Medicine
This CME activity focuses on providing a biomechanical and anatomic framework for physicians to understand musculoskeletal medicine, providing a clinical paradigm and confidence that clinicians can apply to all musculoskeletal injury care, reducing referral needs, improving recovery timeframes, and reducing condition relapse potential. Interactive Case scenarios, video demonstrations of exam techniques, and computer modeling will augment the didactic material. Patient education tools will be accessible online for reference in an effort to foster further learning and patient independent recovery.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
This course is designed for physicians in family practice, primary care, general surgery, internal medicine, neurology, emergency medicine/ urgent care, as well as nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and allied health professionals.
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Stanford University, a partner institute of EdX.
2-3 hours per week
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Evaluate a patient for basic musculoskeletal conditions associated with posture, ergonomics and biomechanics.
- Reduce prescription of narcotic pain medications while enhancing utilization of physical modalities (physical therapy, acupuncture, myofascial or active release techniques) through integration of biomechanical- and trigger-point-based diagnostic approaches.
- Differentiate between common musculoskeletal conditions, based on patient history and mechanism of injury to target the root cause of pain and dysfunction.
- Manage musculoskeletal injuries through employing imaging studies as tools to guide treatment and referrals.
- Educate patients regarding performance of independent home exercises, additionally gaining an online stretching source for patient referral.
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...