Essentials of Genomics and Biomedical Informatics
Three innovations are driving the data revolution in medicine.
- Next Generation Sequencing, and in particular, the ability to sequence individual genomes at diminishing costs.
- Electronic Medical Records, and our ability to mine, using machine learning techniques, huge datasets of medical records.
- Wearable devices, the Web, social networks and crowdsourcing - exemplifying the surprising capacity to collect medical data using non-conventional resources.
In order to take advantage of these technologies and participate in the revolution, physicians need a new toolbox that is generally lacking in the medical school curriculum.
This course is a product of a decade of a collaborative effort between researchers from the computational biology program at Bar-Ilan University, and clinicians from Sheba Medical Center to develop and deliver an extended curriculum in genomics and biomedical informatics. The program has been endorsed by the Israeli Medicine Association and Ministry of Health. Here, we present a condensed online course that includes selected topics chosen from the extended program.
This GaBI course on edX presents clinicians and digital health enthusiasts with an overview of the data revolution in medicine, and how to take advantage of it for research and in the clinic. In the scope of this single course, you will not become a bioinformatician, but you will be able to familiarize yourself with the main concepts, tools, algorithms, and databases used in this field, and understand the types of problems that these analysis techniques can help address.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
There are no specific prerequisite courses; however, we assume knowledge of basic concepts and terms used in the health sciences, which are mainly acquired as part of medical or biological studies.
- The Data Revolution in Medicine
- Biological Sequence Analysis
- Biological Databases and How to Search Them
- Next Generation Sequencing
- Medical Machine Learning
- Artificial Intelligence in Medicine
- Systems Biology
- Human Genomic Variations
- Cancer as a Genomic Disease
Course delivery details
This course is offered through IsraelX, a partner institute of EdX.
2-3 hours per week
- Verified Track -$49
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- The scientific basis, concepts, and language needed to communicate effectively with bioinformaticians, statisticians and data scientists
- First-hand experience in a computational analysis in the practice sessions
- An opportunity to conduct your own basic research (utilizing existing tools, not programming new ones)
- Sufficient background to enable further studies, research, or training towards a career in this field
- And ultimately, the ability to provide better and more personalized medicine for your patients
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...