Mental Health Theory and Practice
Mental health exists for all of us, and mental health conditions, challenges and/or disorders are very common in the United States. Mental health is not just mental illness, it is our wellness. Most of us in our lifetimes will experience something that causes a challenge for our mental health - a loss of someone, birth of a child, loss of a job, witnessing a traumatic event, etc. It is important to normalize discussions and options for care around mental health and well-being, and that experiencing a challenge is normal and okay.
This course utilizes a strengths-based and socioecological framework and a recovery model with the aim of helping those with mental health challenges to move beyond survival and encourage them to thrive with the premise that (1) It is possible to recover from mental health challenges, and (2) The most effective recovery is client-directed. This approach is based on four dimensions of recovery: health, home, purpose, and community.
Learners will explore the unique opportunities and difficulties faced by social workers and prepare them to provide case management and assessment services to people with mental health disorders. In this course learners will explore mental health diagnosis, assessment tools, and what it means to use a wholistic approach when assessing and working with diverse people in diverse contexts.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
SWK1x: Introduction to Social Work and SWK2x: Areas of Social Work Practice on edX are recommended prerequisites for this course.
MH1x: Mental Health History and Treatment is also recommended as the previous course in this professional certificate sequence.
- Biopsychosocial Model
- The Recovery Model
- Introduction to Case Management
- Case Management Roles and Techniques
- Working With Supports, and Other Considerations
- Taking Care of Your Mental Health and Wellness
Course delivery details
This course is offered through University of Alaska Fairbanks, a partner institute of EdX.
4-6 hours per week
- Verified Track -$99
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Learners will be able to apply theories and perspectives to the impact of policies, criminalization, and societal views on mental health.
- Learners will demonstrate self-awareness of their own mental health, and recognize their own biases and personal assumptions about mental health disorders in order to better serve unique and vulnerable populations.
- Through case scenarios, learners will be able to demonstrate an understanding of basic case management skills, the unique case management needs in working with people with mental health disorders, and best practices in providing case management services.
- Learners will apply their understanding of assessment models through the completion of a biopsychosocial assessment.
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...