Introduction to Social Work
Social work is an exciting field and a marketable profession. Social workers make a positive difference in the lives of individuals every day in many different ways. This course will introduce learners to the profession of social work and the human services delivery system. Social work practice settings from a micro, mezzo, and macro level will be explored, such as, mental health, child welfare, substance abuse, older adults, poverty, criminal justice, and more.
Learners will examine the historical development of the social work profession focusing on the knowledge, values and skills that characterize the social worker. Students will be oriented to the context for social work practice and the foundational frameworks of the profession, to include, the strengths perspective,the socio-ecological model, and the biopsychosocial framework. Learners will also be introduced to the National Association of Social Workers Code of Ethics and how to utilize the code to navigate ethical dilemmas and decision-making processes.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
- What is Social Work?
- Social Work Values and Ethics
- Theoretical Frameworks that guide practice
- Cultural competency
- Social Work Practice Settings
Course delivery details
This course is offered through University of Alaska Fairbanks, a partner institute of EdX.
4-6 hours per week
- Verified Track -$99
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Gain an understanding of what a social worker is and does.
- Gain an understanding of the importance of the NASW Code of Ethics to the profession of social work.
- Define power, privilege, oppression, and intersectionality.
- Summarize common theories, frameworks, and perspectives in the social work profession.
- Describe the different levels of practice; micro, mezzo, macro.
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...