We live in the information age, and we are inundated with information on a daily basis. With so much information coming at us so fast, how do we know what’s true? How do we know which information is real? How can we fact-check what we read and see?
In this class, you will explore the answers to these questions by learning information literacy. You will learn how to evaluate the information you see on the Internet as well as academic information. You will also learn how to access credible sources of information and share that information with others.
In later modules, you will learn about different types of sources, how to develop an academic research question, and how to find scholarly sources on that topic. The course concludes with modules about formally presenting your research, citing it properly, and ensuring academic integrity by avoiding plagiarism.
This course can be used to fulfill the Information Literacy requirement at Thomas Edison State University in the Bachelor of Arts in Computer Science Degree. It will not satisfy the Information Literacy Requirements in any other degrees at TESU.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Thomas Edison State University, a partner institute of EdX.
9-12 hours per week
- Verified Track -$498
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- The advantages—and hazards—of using information in the 2020s
- Evaluating the information you see on the Internet everyday
- Evaluating the information you use in college courses
- How to access credible sources of information
- Best practices for sharing that information with others
- The different sources of academic information
- How to develop an academic research question
- How to find scholarly sources on a topic
- Using annotation as a tool for evaluating sources
- Properly citing sources using the APA format
- Understanding plagiarism and why it must be avoided.
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...