GitHub Supply Chain Security Using GitGat
Source code management systems are where code, ci-scripts, and Infrastructure as Code (IaC) scripts are stored and managed. That means that properly protecting the SCM is an important step towards securing the software supply chain, and specifically - securing your code. In this course, you will gain an understanding of these categories, why they are important, and how to implement the security controls in GitHub. We’ll use the open source GitGat security report as a guide to the needed security steps. We’ll then see how to use GitGat to set a continuous security audit that takes the current state into account. Finally, we’ll peek under the hood to understand OPA (Open Policy Agent), Gitgat’s underlying technology.
The course is for anyone who has a GitHub account, manages repositories on GitHub, or is responsible for securing such repositories or accounts. The course could fit both hobbyists and professionals who manage GitHub organizations. In addition, the “under the hood” sections could be of interest to developers who are interested in OPA-based projects.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
- Learners should have access to a Linux\Mac OS\WSL terminal, capable of running Docker and pulling public Docker images.
- Familiarity with Linux command line
- It is recommended to have git installed as well
- Why should we care about GitHub security posture
- The GitGat security report
- Access control
- Branch Protections
- File Modification Tracking
- Incorporating State and continuous security-posture monitoring.
- Under the hood 1: Rego and OPA basics
- Under the hood 2: understanding the Gitgat project
- Final Exam
Course delivery details
This course is offered through The Linux Foundation, a partner institute of EdX.
1-2 hours per week
- Verified Track -$149
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- Correctly assess your own\your organization’s GitHub account security posture using the Gitgat open-source tool
- Set up basic GitHub security posture, whether you’re an individual or run a GitHub organization
- Set up the state for the GitGat project and know how to set up a continuous security audit of your repositories
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...