This interactive one-day training course considers fundamental elements of the procurement process, together with basic tools and techniques used within procurement and supply. It provides a robust grounding in procurement basics and is designed for those in a junior procurement/supply chain role or those new to the discipline. Delivered using learning systems and techniques to develop individual skills.
Upcoming start dates
19 October, 2023
- Virtual Classroom
- Application deadline: 10/5/2023
Introduction to procurement and supply
- Role and value-add of procurement
- Supply chain management
- Ethical considerations
Planning and specifying the procurement
- Planning procurement activities
- Five ‘Rights’ of procurement
- Characteristics of different spend categories
- Types of specification
- Engaging suppliers in early discussion
Managing the Competitive Bid Process
- Selection, process, and evaluation criteria
- Strategic sourcing model
- Award and supplier performance/ relationship management
Course delivery details
- Your skills training will comprise of online learning and a tutor-led session.
- Online pre-learning and course materials will be available on the CIPS Learning Mangement System up-to one month ahead of your training session and should be completed before day 1 and day 2.
- The virtual classroom will open 15 minutes before your session.
Certification / Credits
What will I learn?
As part of this course, you will have access to pre and post work activities online to help you prepare and reflect on your training. Procurement is a strategic process which enables increased added value and is a contributor of competitive advantage to the organisation. Understanding the fundamentals of the procurement cycle and supply chain function contributes to enhanced spend management and categorisation. Involvement in developing robust specifications builds an understanding of the sourcing process and wider supply chain and provides opportunities to develop stakeholder management skills. The supplier appraisal processes are key to successful procurement outcomes from the bid process, together with skills in performance and supplier relationship management.
What are the learning objectives?
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Recognise the fundamentals of the procurement cycle and how each phase contributes to the effective management of spend and supply chain function
- Recognise the need for and importance of the involvement of procurement in specification development and successful outcomes
- Undertake supplier appraisal, develop a post tender appraisal, and develop tender/RFQ templates
- Describe the difference between performance and supplier relationship management, and how to effectively manage termination
Why choose CIPS?
95% of our students tell us that CIPS qualifications are the standard for the profession
Professionals with MCIPS on average earn 20% more
Average rating 4.5
I think the content of this course was right on par for a fundamentals course. The tutor was very good with how she delivered the information and excellent at administrating the...
This training has given me a better understanding of what I should expect from suppliers.
The tutor was really helpful and thorough in her explanations. I learned a lot from her.
Contact this provider
We are CIPS, the Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply
A global membership organisation driving positive change across our profession. CIPS are the voice and standard, defining and amplifying best practice across all our worlds. We help build capability within organisations. Diagnosing, troubleshooting and training. We’ll work with your organisation...